Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: WDYT of Rune?

I don't think of it as a name, I think of runes. That being said, I think it could work nicely in the middle. As a first name, meh, but in the middle, it sounds enigmatic in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by ciottolo View Post
    What about Rue? It's so lovely, and sounds very similar. Rune makes me think of 'rude' a bit - sorry!
    I thought this as well! The thing is, as everyone's said it is a boys name in Scandinavian, it sounds masculine, and using names that are already recognize as being a particular gender can appear disrespectful. I don't know the case in Scandinavia first hand; but Runa is quite lovely, and you said you don't care because you live in America - this doesn't mean you're exempt from being culturally respectful. I just think its important to recognise how choosing the masculine form maybe viewed, particular to Europeans. Ultimately, like you said it does come down to personal preference, and to each their own. Good luck!
    Last edited by sodallas3; November 1st, 2013 at 02:44 AM.

'Jess' Jessica Emily Faith
    Living down under...
    Australian/German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Mary Belle - Conrad - Elaina/Elena? - Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by ktboundary View Post
    I'm realizing more & more that name choice is SUCH a personal preference - some of the names I'm seeing my fellow posters "crushing on" are names I would never use. I'm also realizing that maybe it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
    Exactly. I would also probably put it in the middle, but I'm not generally a fan of one-syllable first names anyway. That said, I do love word names, and I have Rune on my list of boy middles, so I do like the name in general - on a girl, why not? I'd probably pair it with something longer and frillier in the middle, but, again, definitely depends on your preference.
    Baby Sequoia Orion due October 2014!
    Other favorites: Cytheria, Arcadia, Seraphina, Caspian, Gideon

I quite like Rune (prn Roon), but it sounds all boy to me.
    Mom to Emberlee Shea. Expecting #2 Aug 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by ktboundary View Post
    Just to be clear, the pronunciation would be "ROON." And apparently I was wrong about the open-mindedness. Honestly, the fact that it's a boy's name doesn't bother me because I don't live in Norway. I live in the US, where it's a rare enough name that I don't think it wouldn't be a problem at all.

I'm realizing more & more that name choice is SUCH a personal preference - some of the names I'm seeing my fellow posters "crushing on" are names I would never use. I'm also realizing that maybe it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
    Then why not name a girl Bruno? Just because a name originates in another culture doesn't make it any less gender-specific. Acting as though it does confirms everything the rest of the world finds obnoxious about Americans.
    #1 on the way!
    Why yes, I probably should be working!

Benjamin * Sebastian * Ezra * Edmund * Henry * Hugo * Cormac * Andrew * Winston * Levi * Zev * Theodore

Arabella * Aviva * Ariella * Maeve * Matilda * Eleanor * Catherine * Charlotte * Beatrice