Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: WDYT of Rune?

WDYT of Rune?

I've read all the threads on the name rune Rune and there were a few comments on it as a girl's name, but I wanted to start a thread on it as a girl's name specifically. I think many of you are open-minded - I realize it's meant to be a boy's name, but so many names are shifting and being used interchangeably, that I don't think it's a huge issue. I just wanted some more opinions. I'm in love with it, but I'm also on the fence because not many people in my circle will love it. I know some of them will react badly, especially MIL.

So, what do you think of Rune as a girl's name? If we don't choose it for a first name, it will most likely be our pick for middle. Thank you so much for chiming in!

It's not my style, but it could work. It's not too far off from June, so I can see it working on a girl. I'd probably prefer it in the middle, though.
    Amedeo Enjolras Aristotle Leonardo Archer Olivier Mischa Liam Caspian Benedict Theodore Fitzwilliam
    Rosalie Evangeline Mirabelle Ophelia Alice Elisabeth Stella Titania Artemis Cicely Margarethe Thalia Astrid

I would never use it, but I can see the appeal. I prefer Rue. Seems more girly to me.
    What about Ruine, Ruina, Raina? The first two I made up but they seem to add a little something to the plainness of Rune.
    "Pretty is something you're born with. But beauty, that's an equal opportunity adjective."

The thing for me is that Rune is a very common man's name in Scandinavia. Half my Norwegian friends have fathers called Rune (small exaggeration). I think Runa, the feminine version, is beautiful though. But seeing as rune is a word as well as a name, it's not that big a deal. I guess...
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I don't much like Rune on a boy, and I really don't like it on a girl. Partly, it's just not my style. Partly, I would be uneasy that its meaning is "secret." And partly, it just strikes me as incredibly masculine.
    #1 on the way!
    Why yes, I probably should be working!

Benjamin * Sebastian * Ezra * Edmund * Henry * Hugo * Cormac * Andrew * Winston * Levi * Zev * Theodore

Arabella * Aviva * Ariella * Maeve * Matilda * Eleanor * Catherine * Charlotte * Beatrice