Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Augustine for a girl?

I am aware that Augustine is a male name. But I have personally never met anyone called Augustine before... and to me the name sounds decidedly female. Maybe it's the 'tine' ending - reminds me of Christine, Clementine, Justine etc

Anyway my question is a simple one. Would you shudder at the thought of someone naming a baby girl 'Augustine'? If yes, can you think of any alternatives (other than Augusta which I think places too much emphasis on the hard 'G' and sounds too harsh for a little girl)

If it makes any difference I am from New Zealand, where it would be rare to find even a boy named this...

Augustine is the name of two prominent MALE saints (Augustine of Canterbury and Augustine of Hippo). It's been chosen for either gender but the English pronunciations are different ("aw-GUS-tin" for a male or "AW-gus-teen" for a female. There are also French and German pronunciations for the name). I've also seen the Augusteen spelling for girls but I don't find it very pretty at all.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I have always though of it as a boys name, but it does have a sort of feminine vibe to it. I think it would be wonderful to meet a little girl named Augustine. Some people might think it is strange, but its your daughter, and I am sure she will be thankful you didn't give her a name that everyone else has. There was always at least two other girls with the same name in all of my classes and it was really annoying. Also its a unique name but a name everyone has heard before, so I am sure she would not have to spell it for everyone. It is a very sweet name, that I think could grow with her from childhood, into adulthood. It is a proud name that has a little bit of spunk for a little girl. I say go for it!

Augustina would be more obviously feminine, but Augustine works for me on a both genders as well.
    Proud mother to William "Liam" Balthazar, and expecting Catherine "Cate" Ophelia in September 2014!
    Future Daughters: Isobel "Zoe" Theophania, Veronica "Vera" Seraphine
    Future Sons: Alexander "Olek" Crispin/Leopold, Dominic "Nico" Valentine

Nicholas ~ William ~ Alexander ~ Sebastian ~ Gabriel ~ Benjamin ~ Dominic ~ Oliver ~ Crispin ~ Gregory
    Zoe ~ Catherine ~ Veronica ~ Penelope ~ Elizabeth ~ Daphne ~ Anastasia ~ Seraphina ~ Ophelia ~ Felicity

I know Augustine is a male name, but it sounds all girl to me. I know one guy named Augustus, a much "manlier" form of this name in my opinion.
    I like Augustine for a girl! I definitely would not shudder meeting a little girl named Augustine.
    If you want even more female emphasis, Augustina is another option.
    But ultimately, if you like it, go for it!!!!!!!
    "Pretty is something you're born with. But beauty, that's an equal opportunity adjective."