Names Searched Right Now:
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Andromeda - I really like Andromeda, but I can't think what I would nickname one! If it was Andromeda or Bellatrix, I would choose Andromeda, mainly because I just prefer the name, a little because Andromeda was the better sister in HP and a little because I have an odd and yet incessant hatred of the name Annabel and anything Bella reminds me of it. (I realise you took Andromeda off of the list but I am far too lazy to retype the Bellatrix comments under Bellatrix so my Andromeda ramblings will stay)
    Bellatrix - See Andromeda comments/mini rant.
    Circe - I ADORE Circe, I don't know what it is, it just seems so magical and majestic and just all round wonderful to me. Definitely my favourite from your list other than Ceiridwen.
    Cosima - I really like Cosima, she seems very light and feathery while floating amongst the stars to me. I would propably use Simmy as a nn.
    Desdemona - I just can't get over the fact it has Demon in it, I tried, but I can't. I was never really a big Othello fan anyway, it just reminds me of having to watch the film in my English class while my teacher tried to sheild the screen while fast forwarding over the sex scenes.
    Eowyn - It's a nice name, I just keep reading it as Owen for some reason, and I can't get past that. I like Arwen, if that is at all helpful.
    Hesperia - From the way I'm pronouncing it (which is most probably wrong) it sounds a lot like despair, which makes me less inclined to like it.
    Melusine - I love Melusine, she's so wonderfully watery and magical. If there were no Circe and Ceridwen, Melusine would be my top pick for you. And she comes with Lucy which is lovely.
    Morrigan - I like Morrigan, I just think she's a little too masculine sounding next to her sister.
    Ourania - I don't know what it is, but something is off to me about Ourania but I can't put my finger on what exactly.
    Pandora - I love Pandora, especially as she comes with Panda! But the whole Pandora jewellery chain thing makes it a bit off putting.
    Vespertine - I have surprised myself by liking this one, though I see it more as a wonderful middle name.

In order would be:
    Ceridwen
    Circe
    Melusine
    Cosima
    Pandora
    Vespertine
    Eowyn
    Morrigan
    Desdemona
    Bellatrix
    Ourania
    Hesperia

If I missed any off, or added any on that are no longer in the running then just ignore them, I am having trouble keeping track of the current lists!

Ahh, I've been too busy this week to write a response to this… and now I see you've narrowed the list down. Lots of gorgeous names as usual, including some old(er) favourites! I'll give you some imagery, colours, and ratings.

Andromeda- a quiet and soft but strong kind of beauty, a celestial girl through and through. She's lying on a blanket in the middle of a grassy field staring up at the stars and moon, completely entranced by them and ignoring your repeated calls to tell her to get inside or at least put on a jacket. She can identify and name most of what she's seeing, given the way she pores over astronomy books, and her telescope is her most prized possession. She begged for the tiny gable room at the top of the house with a window seat so she could see the stars better. Andromeda is pretty, and has familiar sounds but is unique- one of those names that feels familiar until you think about it and realize you don't know anyone by that name.
    blue, black, deep purple, dark grey. 8/10

Bellatrix- I've actually never read or watched Harry Potter so I didn't make the connection. She sounds spunky and clever, magical and otherworldly but grounded too, like a witch or wizardress or genie living in the human world on Earth. Or someone who wishes she was one. Her laugh is like a warm, friendly cackle. She's wearing a long, heavy black dress and lace-up black boots, stirring an experiment and trying (and failing) to make potions in the kitchen. She reads books of spells and magic, and is into "alternative" stuff like divination and fortune telling.
    black, orange, green- very Hallowe'eny. 7/10

Circe- I've given you imagery for this before, I think. A reclusive older lady in a huge, dark, crumbling mansion, wearing a long, heavy velvet dress, turning a tiger's-eye over and over in her hand. An interesting name for a story, but a bit too creepy and evil for a real person.
    black, orange. 3/10

Cosima- the most demure and grounded of these to me. I imagine a shy young girl wearing a ruffly dress and ribbons in her hair, the daughter of an earl or duke and living in a mansion. She loves playing with her kitten and having tea parties with her dolls. As she gets older, she develops a classy, appealing but not flashy fashion sense (think Duchess of Cambridge). An adult Cosima would be quietly running her family's country estate, be a museum curator or painter and patron of art. I think of Lady Cosima Windsor.
    baby blue, white, soft pink. 8.5/10

Desdemona- I do think it has a pretty sound but I can only think of the Shakespeare character, who I'm not too fond of. I'm biased though I guess; I tend to like the witty and clever heroines like Portia and Viola. So to me Desdemona feels too wispy, insubstantial, and submissive- and a bit dark for a namesake.
    black, grey. 4/10

Eowyn- I haven't read Lord of the Rings either (not a fantasy person) so I can't comment on the character. An Eowyn seems like a strong, resourceful, capable woman though, who hatches complicated plots to make the world better and carries them through. She feels very earth-y and nature-y, an adventurer who loves the woods and flora and fauna, and wouldn't hesitate to climb to the top of a high mountain if she would get the best view there. As a little girl, she's always
    bringing home stones and leaves, catching ladybugs, and romping around with her best canine friend.
    blue, green, yellow. 7.5/10

Hesperia- I'd rather see Hespera back on the list but Hesperia is gorgeous and enchanting too! Hesperia is usable but not Hespera? I'm not quite sure how to pronounce it- hes-puh-ree-ah or hes-pear-ee-ah? I get a similar image as with Hespera, snow-covered fields and rose gardens, a girl who's a romantic and a dreamer. (I think last time I did imagery for Hespera it was a girl sneaking out at night to meet her boyfriend in the garden).
    pink, purple. 9/10 (Hespera would get a 10)

Melusine- Magical, dainty and fairylike but strong and powerful. I'm having a hard time thinking of imagery for a girl, I think more of a watery enchantress. Like a mermaid or siren, or a nice sea witch (if that existed). With a crystal ball or some other way of knowing what humans are doing above the surface. For a girl, maybe ambling up rocky cliff paths to see the ocean crashing below?
    blue, green, silver, white. 8.5/10

Morrigan- too masculine and harsh for me. You've loved Morgana so long, better to keep that on the list. Morrigan makes me think of nature and forests and fields. A girl (or I could even see this working for a boy) out for a walk on a cold, blustery grey-sky day, running into the wind that whips her hair back, cheeks flushed red as she runs out of breath and slows down.
    red, orange, bronze, brown. 2.5/10

Ourania- Not getting a clear image of a person either, sorry. It also feels very watery- I see grottos and deep underwater caves, treasure chests full of jewelry and ceramics and other trinkets from centuries-old shipwrecks, a scuba diver or snorkeler looking at marine life, crashing waves, dark nights on the water craning your neck making sure you don't hit any rocks and looking for the lighthouse you're supposedly approaching.
    blue, purple, black. 7/10

Pandora- A bit cutesy to me, and I just don't really like it for some reason, sorry. She's a little girl who loves to dress-up, telling stories with puppets, stroking her white poodle and giving her (or him) makeovers. She giggles shrilly but sweetly at everything. She's tucked under the covers watching a funny movie or waiting eagerly for her mother to read her a bedtime story.
    pink, purple, light blue, silvery-white. 2.5/10

Vespertine- prim, proper and demure. The "vesper" part makes me think of churches and church bells- richly decorated churches with Gothic arches, stained-glass windows, intricately carved wooden pews and colourful mosaics. A Vespertine would study hard, do everything her mother tells her to, volunteer at charities and save up her allowance to donate to the church offering. Her classmates would hate her for being a prig if she weren't so sweet and caring, and genuine in everything she does.
    red, brown, royal blue. 8/10
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Portia, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

I also adore names from mythology... how about Minerva? Seriously cute nickname Minnie from that one!

I also really like Hebe (probably as first middle name) - Hebe was the goddess of youth. (it's pronounced like phoebe without the p).

Iris is also a favourite of mine (I know you mentioned Isis) - Iris was the goddess of the rainbow and messenger to the gods.

From your list, I really love Bellatrix and Clemency. I love the combos Bellatrix Hebe ....? and Clemency Iris ....? Think a second middle name would sound great with both, but not sure what!

Also, how about Ophelia? Think this has such a great ring to it that seems to suit your naming style!

Good luck with whatever you choose, some really great names on your list!!

AiW, Thanks for the ranking!

Littlered; Andromeda could be Annie, Andy, Meda, Mea, Romy, Dromy. Glad to see some serious Circe love! Hesperia is hes-PE-ree-ah. Thanks for all the comments, and the rankings. Don't worry about updates, I don't expect you to keep up with everything here. I think you were pretty much caught up though.

Bonfire; thanks for rating and imagery! Love Andromeda (especially this one, so lovely!) and Hespera, Bellatrix and Ourania. Hesperia is hes-PE-ree-ah, Hespera's HES-puh-ruh. They're both usable, Husband simply prefers Hesperia. I had a chat with my mum and she said it doesn't bother her as the pronunciation is so different from the bad word.

Annebel; yeah, I do love Minerva. I've already got three M-names I love more though... and I know a Minnie. Hebe and Iris are on our middle list, as is Ophelia. Ophelia would be on my first list if I could get Husband around to it, but he isn't comfortable with it as a first. Thanks for your opinions!

I will post an update later! I know I say that a lot and don't do it, but I will. In the meantime, if anyone has any opinions on these Hespera variations feel free to give them to me:

Hespera - HES-puh-ruh
    Hesperia - hes-PE-ree-ah
    Hespereia - hes-PE-ray-ah
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Hespera! It's gorgeous.
    Tristan Gilbert°Robin Amaury°Leon Percival°Edmund Theoderic°Finn Beowulf°Magnus Oberon°Thorin Elliot°Edric Maximilian°Emil Orlando°Roscoe Lucius
    Freya Marigold°Belle Seraphina°Leda Cassiopeia°Briony Rosaline°Charlotte Romilly°Lotus Dorothea°Aurora Nimue°Cecily Eliska°Mabel Celestina°Gaia Melisende
    girl & boy