Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar sibling names

My aunt and uncle had a baby recently. Their older two (one boy, one girl) have cute but unspectacular names, quite trendy but not awful. I was not expecting great things for the third, but being the name nerd I am, I was eager to find out what they were going to call her. When the announcement came, I was pleasantly surprised. It was a sweet name, vintage and on-trend. The only thing...it was almost, but not quite, their older daughter's name. I mean almost the exact same first and middle combination (think Lila Clare/Lily Clara). My mom and I exchanged slightly pained looks. My dad just laughed.

It got me thinking...why do parents do this? It seems to be a fairly common phenomenon. Among the top names for twins are Emma and Emily, Jacob and Jayden. Many people give all their children names with the same first letter, Duggar style. Don't they realize how much trouble this is going to cause later? It just seems really weird to me. You've already used that name; why not take the chance to use another name you like?

Have any of you met siblings with names like this? What do you think?
    Teen writer, pianist, sci-fi geek, cat-owner and name enthusiast.

Calvin Augustus ~ Matilda Josephine
    Roland | Walter | Orson | Felix | Beatrix | Ramona | Clemency | Astrid
    Laszlo | Quentin | Alonzo | Hayden | Winston | Cecily | Wednesday | Liesel | Zelda | Hazel

As a twin, I feel very strongly about matchy names. My siblings and I have totally different names (fitting together in style and popularity [i.e. very uncommon!] but no similar sounds or initials). Apart from the annoyance with constant mix-ups etc., I would hate to have such a similar name because I wouldn't feel like my own 'person' (this applies especially to twins: we're lumped together so often that you really do need to be set apart sometimes). I was having a little look through twin names earlier this morning, actually, and these were some of the awful combos that stuck out to me (nothing against the names themselves necessarily, just the combinations):
    Zayden and Brayden (bb)
    Zoe and Chloe (gg)
    Jaqi and Jaqari (gb) (WHY)
    Xander and Xavier (bb)
    Evan and Ivan (bb) (I actually got angry - those poor poor boys)
    Alexis and Allison (gg) (Allie and Allie? No)
    Ruby and Rose (gg)
    Lili and Laci (gg) (if you're going to give them matching names, can't you at least spell them correctly?)
    Karli and Kallum (gb) (I see they're doing the Kardashian thing)
    Blake and Brock (bb)
    Sophie and Sonny (gb)
    Sindu and Sidharth (gb)

Slightly different topic, but there were also twin boys called Jack and Daniel. JACK AND DANIEL! As in Jack Daniels! Who allows this?
    And there were also twin GIRLS called Jaxx and Charlee. The poor, poor girls.
    And lastly, twin boys called Harry and James. The Harry Potter nerd (not so deep down) rejoiced.

Sorry for the length of this!
    I'm 19 with a furbaby named Frederick

* Beatrix * Clementine * Penelope * Seraphina *

* Theodore * Hugo * Caspian * Arthur * Lysander *

That's interesting about the twin names. I can't believe people actually do that to their children - Evan and Ivan?
    Teen writer, pianist, sci-fi geek, cat-owner and name enthusiast.

Calvin Augustus ~ Matilda Josephine
    Roland | Walter | Orson | Felix | Beatrix | Ramona | Clemency | Astrid
    Laszlo | Quentin | Alonzo | Hayden | Winston | Cecily | Wednesday | Liesel | Zelda | Hazel

I've heard of a set of twins named Leslie and Liesl. Seems so wrong to me. First, because it's all the same letters, but switched around! Also, because the style/ethnicity seems mismatched...Liesl sounds like the older German cousin of Leslie.

I have nothing against either name, and in fact am trying to convince DH about using Anneliese nn Liesl. But it's exactly the opposite of what I would try to do with twin names: match the style/feel of the name but have the sounds and letters be distinct.

I know of a girl named Rose Camille and her baby sister Camille Rose.
    I wonder what they would have done if a third baby had appeared...