Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Name Trends & Rules In Other Countries

If you're not from the UK / US (as most berries are) can you tell a bit about the top names in your country?
    (If you are from the UK / US I'd love you to write something about your personal view on the following questions)
    The top 10 names.
    Names that you hear on every corner.
    Are their any names that you love but you could never use in your country?
    Are there any regulations what you can name your child?
    Names that are categorized as "low class" / "middle class" / "upper class"
    Any name trendy going on.
    What is the biggest difference between your countries name regulations / trends and the USA / UK?
    Etc.

Please? I would love to get to know a bit more about the "International Naming System"

Are there any names that are constantly associated with your country, however you think "no one here would ever name their child that (anymore)"?
    Last edited by opheliaflora; November 4th, 2013 at 05:04 PM.

I might as well start for Germany.

Our Top 10 names for 2012:
    (top 100 can be found here)

1. Mia
    2. Emma
    3. Hannah / Hanna
    4. Lea / Leah
    5. Sofia / Sophia
    6. Anna
    7. Lena
    8. Leonie
    9. Lina
    10. Marie

1. Ben
    2. Luca / Luka
    3. Paul
    4. Lucas / Lukas
    5. Finn / Fynn
    6. Jonas
    7. Leon
    8. Luis / Louis
    9. Maximilian
    10. Felix

You can't name your kid everything in Germany, there are certain rules, however you can get away with quite a bit.
    For example: You can't name your kid "sonnig" (sunny) or "Regen" (rain). But you can name your kid "Tiger" (tiger).

Unisex names, at most times, need a gender specific middle name.
    You couldn't just name your kid "Avery", but "Avery Jane" and "Avery Thomas" would be allowed.

Names like Ursula, Petra, Gertrude are very out of style, even though people see them as german names.

A "Kevin" and a "Chantal", along with many other english pronounced names will probably face prejudices, as many people view them as "low class".

People don't (usually) name their kids after cities (London), countries (India), districts (Brooklyn), states (Dakota), rivers (Hudson) or food.

Name trends would be cute, simple and rather girly names for girls & boyish names for boys. There's not much unisex going on here either.

If you have any questions, I would love to answer them
    Last edited by opheliaflora; October 29th, 2013 at 06:01 PM.

You say names popular in English are low class but most of the names in the top tens are popular in English. This will be a very interesting thread if people from other countries respond.
    Boys
    Spencer|Benjamin|Henry|Declan|Rhys|Grayson|Peter|Q uinn

Girls
    Laura|Charlotte|Caroline|Savannah|Nora|Natalie|Hel ena

Guilty Pleasures
    River|Sawyer|Moss|Barrett|Sky|Archer

Quote Originally Posted by pemdas View Post
    You say names popular in English are low class but most of the names in the top tens are popular in English. This will be a very interesting thread if people from other countries respond.
    It's not so much the name itself (with Kevin and Chantal it is though), it's more about the pronunciation.
    Most names in the top 10 do sound the same in both languages (they're quite international names). But names like Justin, Georgia or Delilah would be pronounced differently. The english pronunciation is what puts off most people.

I live in Ireland. Name trends are mostly similar to in the UK, but a little less interesting.

The top 10 names are:
    Girls
    Emily
    Sophie
    Emma
    Grace
    Lily
    Mia
    Ella
    Ava
    Lucy
    Sarah
    Boys
    Jack
    James
    Daniel
    Sean
    Conor
    Adam
    Harry
    Ryan
    Dylan
    Michael

Most of the top 10 names are very English, but there are a lot of Irish names which are popular here, such as Caoimhe, Saoirse, Roisin, Ciara, Niamh, Aoife and Aisling for girls, and Eoin/Eoghan, Tadhg, Cillian, Darragh and Donnacha for boys, all of which are in the top 100. Based on people I know, Sophia, Rachel and Aoife are very popular, and Ava is insanely popular. It's possible Ava is higher than 8, if you count the Irish spelling (which is Aoibhe, I think, or something like it). There are a few surprising names - Julia, Eva, Freya, Maja, Zara, Amelie, Jakub and Filip are in the top 100.

I hope this was interesting. I'm going based on the names of relatives' children and this list: http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpubl.../#.UnA4O0avmM8 (Table 1)
    Teen writer, pianist, sci-fi geek, cat-owner and name enthusiast.

Calvin Augustus ~ Matilda Josephine
    Roland | Walter | Alonzo | Orson | Beatrice | Elspeth | Agatha | Sunny
    Fitzgerald | Winston | Montgomery | Hugo | Clemency | Zelda | Astrid | Ophelia