Names Searched Right Now:

Palpitations during pregnancy?

Hey all,

So I'm at 34 weeks along today! Time is going pretty quickly but I'm really feeling it physically these days. I'm exhausted, my back and hips hurts all the time, I have at least one migraine every week, blah blah blah. I'm getting pretty antsy for the whole thing to come to an end. But I'm also absolutely terrified of birth! But anyway, the reason for this post is because I've started having quite a few heart palpitations over the last couple of weeks. They're not new to me, I've had them since my mid-20's when I was diagnosed with PSVT's (harmless but annoying). They aren't making me dizzy, no passing out, no chest pain or shortness of breath. My pulse has been running a bit elevated the last couple of months, around 95-105, but the OB wasn't concerned with that. But the palpitations become much more frequent the last 2 weeks so I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? If so, did you do anything to treat it? I already take a pre-natal vitamin as well as a prescription iron supplement. What did your doc say to you about it? I will tell my doctor all about it this Friday when I see her, I'm just hoping for some other experiences and opinions to hold me over until then.

Thanks!
    Christine

Pregnancy #1: lost to mc, 10/11

Amelia Joelle arrived on 11/28/13 at 7 pounds, 4 ounces of pure beauty. Couldn't be happier to finally be mommy!

I experienced something similar - my pulse sat around 110 and I had what felt like skipped beats. For a few years before I would occasionally have palpitations, so I was used to being able to feel my heart, but the skipping feeling really freaked me out. My cardiologist did an EKG, echo, and some blood work and everything was normal. She told me to up my natural iron intake because I was anemic even with the supplement. I had to drink either Gatorade or coconut water, even though I drink water almost exclusively because I needed the electrolytes. Both of these things really helped. She also said that it could have been worsened by the sudden weight gain that comes with pregnancy. I was doing really badly with my weight because even standing hurt so much, I could barely shuffle around. Huge baby and short mommy. She did prescribe a beta blocker but said that it was just a precaution and I only needed to start it if my pulse continued to rise.

I hope everything turns out okay. Please don't forget to update!
    Mommy to Mr. Ivan

Seems to me that with pregnancy everything is worth talking to the doctor about, but most things are "normal" - if anything about growing a person can be normal Every now and then my heart races and I sometimes feel tightness in my chest a bit, happened last pregnancy too, and doctor said it was nothing to worry about. My prediction is that they will tell you to take it easy and drink more water (that's what they tell me for just about everything!). Keep us posted. You're almost done
    Luckiest woman in the world!

Mom to Logan Hunter, Savanna Nichole, Avonlea Noel and Arden "Birdie" Mae

Step-mom to Austin Ray, Haley Caroline, Kelsey Suzanne

and expecting someone else December 19!

Thanks Pistachio and mjc7709! I had them pretty much all day yesterday but its been much quieter today so that's a relief. But I'll still let the doc know on Friday morning. I also figure they'll tell me to drink more water but good lord, I'm already peeing 12 times a day! Such tiny creatures create such havoc in our lives.... even before they arrive and create the real havoc!
    Christine

Pregnancy #1: lost to mc, 10/11

Amelia Joelle arrived on 11/28/13 at 7 pounds, 4 ounces of pure beauty. Couldn't be happier to finally be mommy!

I'm sorry you're dealing with this! I started getting palpitations and an extremely rapid heart rate when I was 5-6 months pregnant with my last baby. My doctor dismissed them as pregnancy related, but unfortunately they've only gotten progressively worse. I actually did black out-grocery shopping and I was absolutely mortified- a few months after I had my daughter. I've had just about every diagnostic test but there seems to be nothing wrong with my heart, it just likes to skip beats or speed up. I really hope that won't be the case for you, but so far (my baby is now almost 6 months) it's not been too serious for me. Good Luck!!
    Killian Jude-11/09
    Ronan Fox-01/11
    Delaney Caroline-04/12
    Rory Eliza-05/13
    Fiona Rosalie-07/14