Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks again for all of the great advice! I've updated my previous comment with my list.

Quentin Charles, born July 4!

Russell Theodore
    Catherine Violet

Congratulations Leah, so pleased for you!

Diapering:
    Snappis (diaper fasteners)
    Cloth diapers, newborn and small sizes-I know you said you didn't want brands but I love Green Mountain Diapers for prefolds.
    Diaper covers, newborn and small sizes-If you do Thirsties duo covers then you can just get size 1 and 2 and be good through potty training. The duo size 1s snap small enough for a newborn and the size 2 will start working around 12 lbs. The size 1s do stop working before their advertised 18 lbs or whatever. You also could probably just do size 1s and a one size option.
    Cloth diaper wipes-If you're looking to save money then these can be made on your own or buy baby wash cloths at yards sales for super cheap and use them.
    Diaper sprayer-I know several people said it's not necessary but I honestly wouldn't have continued cloth diapering if I hadn't had one. I've cloth diapered two kids (on through potty training and the other is 16 months now) and I LOVE my sprayer. However you don't need it until you start doing solid foods so you can wait a little while to buy one. I found the liners bunched up and didn't cover everything and my kids don't always have plopable poop especially my son.
    Wet bag-Get a bunch! I have three pail liners that we use for in the bedroom, a wet bag for the basement and a bunch for going out. You can also use plastic bags for while you're out if you don't want to buy too many wet bags.
    Changing mat (for top of dresser)- Get at least two covers or more if you're having a boy.
    Travel changing mat (for other rooms/diaper bag)

Eating:
    Nursing pillow
    Nursing pads
    Nursing cover-I strongly recommend one that has a metal part that causes it to stick out a bit and goes around your neck. Really helpful at first when you're just learning how to use one.
    Burp cloths
    Bibs
    Bottles

Furniture/travel gear:
    Crib/crib mattress
    Highchair-You can't use it with a little baby but I recommend the IKEA one. Super easy to clean.
    Bouncy seat
    Baby wearer
    Car seat
    Stroller
    Diaper bag-I've found a backpack to work best for this since it's easier to walk around with it on and my husband is happy to carry it. Cloth diapers take up a lot more space so it helps to fit everything in without having to haul around a giant bag.

Hygiene/misc:
    Bathtub
    Humidifier
    Video monitor-These regularly appear on baby deal sites like woot! kids.
    Nail scissors
    Hairbrush
    Thermometer
    Teether
    Receiving blanket
    Swaddling blankets
    Pacifier
    Sun shades (for car windows)
    Outlet plugs

Indulgences:
    Stuffed animal
    Blocks
    Kiddy plates and silverware-Ikea has these for really cheap.
    Classical music CD
    Mother to: Patrick Werner (3/10) and Mary Claire (06/12)

@juicyorange: Thanks!

@feberin: Thanks for the suggestions! The Green Mountain prefolds are actually what I was looking at.

Quentin Charles, born July 4!

Russell Theodore
    Catherine Violet

Quote Originally Posted by leahmarie512 View Post
    @juicyorange: Thanks!

@feberin: Thanks for the suggestions! The Green Mountain prefolds are actually what I was looking at.
    I purchased one dozen orange edge prefolds and two dozen yellows edge prefolds when I was pregnant with my son. I also got like a dozen of the kissaluvs size 0s that I picked up super cheap as seconds but if I didn't get that deal I would probably do some of the Green Mountain workhorse diapers. However since newborns go through a lot of diapers and I hate constantly having to wash and prefer two days minimum between washing I bought a second dozen orange edge when I had my daughter. That amount of 3 dozen newborn sized diapers was perfect if you can afford the extra ones. They do grow out of them really quickly though and I managed fine with only 2 dozen with my son just it always seemed like I was washing diapers.
    Mother to: Patrick Werner (3/10) and Mary Claire (06/12)