Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Diner waitress?

Diner waitress?

So we had finally decided on a name if this baby is a girl...Sylvie Colleen. Sylvie was the name we both liked best, and Colleen is the name of my grandmother who raised me. We aren't telling anyone else the name, so we haven't heard any feedback at all about it. Then yesterday I mentioned maybe putting the name meaning/why we chose it on the birth announcement and my husband said, "yeah because everyone else will probably think her name sounds like a diner waitress". I know I'm hormonal but I burst into tears. He says he loves it and was trying to be funny but now i can't get it out of my head. Does it sound like a diner waitress? Should I scrap it and start over?

I wouldn't say diner waitress; I would think more along the lines of old Irish granny. But if the name is important to you, I wouldn't let one harmless comment get in the way of that. That being said, here are a few suggestions:

Eloise Colleen
    Willa Colleen
    Brenna Colleen
    Brigid Colleen
    Sheila Colleen
    Sylvie Collette
    Sylvie Cathleen
    Sylvie Calla
    Sylvie Coraline
    Amedeo Enjolras Aristotle Leonardo Archer Olivier Mischa Liam Caspian Benedict Theodore Fitzwilliam
    Rosalie Evangeline Mirabelle Ophelia Alice Elisabeth Stella Titania Artemis Cicely Margarethe Thalia Astrid

I wouldn't say diner waitress, but I can see what your husband means. Sylvie is lovely, a very fresh name and if Colleen has meaning to you, then go for it! It's not like her middle name will be known by everyone anyway. If you both love the name, nothing should stop you from using it.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]
    [CENTER]~Ebony~
    ----------------------------
    [COLOR="#66cc33"]Ignatius - Jasper - Hugo - Edmund - Henry - Oliver - Rupert - Felix - Percy - August - Atticus - Amias - Otto - Barnaby - Arthur - Ezra - Hector - Charles[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#cc99cc"]Antigone - Hermione - Harriet - Cordelia - Violet - Persephone - Beatrice/Beatrix - Clementine - Ottilie - Florence - Octavia - Drusilla - Agnes - Ida - Matilda - Xanthe[/COLOR]

[/CENTER]
    [SIZE=1]Previously ebonyeden[/SIZE]

[RIGHT][SIZE=1]avatar is my 8th great grandmother.[/SIZE][/RIGHT][/font]

A diner waitress?! Named Sylvie?! Not in the slightest! It's the epitome of sweet and French and chic imo. Objectively speaking, I wouldn't expect a Sylvie to be a diner waitress at all (not that she couldn't be!)--and if I were writing a story about a diner waitress, she wouldn't be named Sylvie (or anything remotely close to that!) unless she had dreams of aspiring to be a novelist or involved in hands-on philanthropy, or if she was a poor FRENCH diner waitress with dreams of something bigger and grander, haha. Sylvie is everything lovely and sweet. Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Grace + Eleni
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Caspar + Grant + Rory

Based totally off of tv shows i can recall from memory, the stereotypical diner waitress's name is Shelley. Also the only Sylvie i know is a gorgeous little girl obsessed with cowgirls.

I think you're good. Sylvie is a lovely name. Colleen isn't my style, but i think the combo and honoring family is lovely
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.