Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A request for imagery/associations from my list of strong contenders

I think a lot about meaning and flow, but imagery is one of those things that's just SO different from person to person. I would love to hear some first impressions or little stories or anything

GIRLS
    Rowena Claire (pronounced Row-enn-a; nn Winnie)
    Amabel Jane (May-bell)
    Marian Lily
    Heloise Dove (Lu or Lilou)

BOYS
    Theodore James (Teddy or Theo)
    Cedric Muir
    Jude Peregrine
    Magnus Hart (Mack)

I love so many names from such distinct styles, which makes it really difficult to settle on a choice for the FIRST baby. I wound up creating a range of sibsets (nature-inspired, Biblical, French, classic), just to see what suited us overall. We settled on this one, which I hope is vintage-y, British-y, with a subtle touch of storybooks/nature. I wish I could squeeze in more honor names, but flow and etymological meaning usually take precedence for us. I guess that's what the time between each child is for-- those little strokes of genius that come with sustained name nerdiness

Anyway, this is my last request for impressions before we make our final decisions, so I'm very grateful Thanks everyone for all your help so far.
    Last edited by shujayra; October 25th, 2013 at 04:12 PM.
    Married to my best friend since 6-30-11 ♥ Mama to two herding dogs, a wooly rabbit & a purring machine

Current favorite combos for the women-to-be: Rowena Claire (Winnie) | Amabel Jane | Lilias Eve | Helene Iona (Lena)

And the little men: Theodore James (Teddy) | Cedric Muir | Jude Peregrine | Henry Alcott

First, a comment: I really like the name Heloise, and I love the Heloise and Abelard story. But apparently there was a sitcom a couple/few decades ago that featured a maid named Heloise, so for people of a certain age, that's all they can picture. At least, that's what I was told when I had it on my list as a mn.

Rowena Claire - with the nn Winnie, I think automatically of The Wonder Years. I think it's cute nevertheless, but I can't see anything except a sweet girl with a mane of long, shining, black hair.
    Amabel Jane - I'm sorry, but the nn May-Bell just seems like it belongs on a cow. I do like Amabel, though, just not the nn. Amabel seems like it would belong to the kind of girl who loves to be in front of a crowd and chats just as easily with adults as with kids.
    Marian Lily - This name belongs on a tall girl, and I picture someone thin with just a few freckles.
    Heloise Dove - the concern outlined above notwithstanding, I love this name. I picture a girl with curls in her hair sitting in the sun reading Jane Austen.

Theodore James - Theodore is one of my favorite names. It feels like the name of an All-American boy to me - strong, athletic, smart, and funny. A boy named Theodore seems destined to be class president and captain of the football/lacrosse/water polo team.
    Cedric Muir - A boy named Cedric seems like a natural musician. I can see Cedric playing guitar in a band but also writing his own lyrics.
    Jude Peregrine - shy but charming; the sort of guy who's very popular with the girls who are smart enough to appreciate his dry wit
    Magnus Hart (Mack) - this name sounds to me like it should belong to a jerk, to be honest.
    #1 on the way!
    Why yes, I probably should be working!

Benjamin * Sebastian * Ezra * Edmund * Henry * Hugo * Cormac * Andrew * Winston * Levi * Zev * Theodore

Arabella * Aviva * Ariella * Maeve * Matilda * Eleanor * Catherine * Charlotte * Beatrice

I love the Heloise and Abelard story too. She is a wonderful medieval namesake. I've come across the maid association before, but it doesn't really bother me. I think it's far enough in the past that it wouldn't be too much of a problem, especially with use of nicknames.

My total ignorance of pop culture is sometimes a boon to me, since I have no idea about The Wonder Years either.

Haha about the cow thing. That's kind of why we didn't go with the nature-themed set... I have a terrible penchant for names like Bluebell, Clover, Lupine, etc. But as a baby nn, it's a more forgivable sin.

Love all your descriptions except the last one, of course! I can kind of see your point though. Do you feel that way about all Magnuses, or is it the MN that does it?
    Married to my best friend since 6-30-11 ♥ Mama to two herding dogs, a wooly rabbit & a purring machine

Current favorite combos for the women-to-be: Rowena Claire (Winnie) | Amabel Jane | Lilias Eve | Helene Iona (Lena)

And the little men: Theodore James (Teddy) | Cedric Muir | Jude Peregrine | Henry Alcott

Quote Originally Posted by shujayra View Post
    I love the Heloise and Abelard story too. She is a wonderful medieval namesake. I've come across the maid association before, but it doesn't really bother me. I think it's far enough in the past that it wouldn't be too much of a problem, especially with use of nicknames.

My total ignorance of pop culture is sometimes a boon to me, since I have no idea about The Wonder Years either.

Haha about the cow thing. That's kind of why we didn't go with the nature-themed set... I have a terrible penchant for names like Bluebell, Clover, Lupine, etc. But as a baby nn, it's a more forgivable sin.

Love all your descriptions except the last one, of course! I can kind of see your point though. Do you feel that way about all Magnuses, or is it the MN that does it?
    I'm only halfway ignorant of pop culture (which is why I try to run my name choices by people who are more "up" on such things). But I was a kid when The Wonder Years was on. The good news is that Winnie Cooper was a perfectly lovely girl and, as pop culture associates go, there's FAR worse out there.

As for Magnus, I do feel that way about the name Magnus generally (I think because of its linguistic proximity to words like magnanimous, magnificent, and magnum), but I also think that feeling is exacerbated by its pairing with Hart (which I tend to like, as a general rule). Actually, the more I think about it, the greater the number of associations I come up with - it's so close to magnum, which makes me think of Magnum PI and the condoms; I also fill in Mag-Lite flashlight.
    #1 on the way!
    Why yes, I probably should be working!

Benjamin * Sebastian * Ezra * Edmund * Henry * Hugo * Cormac * Andrew * Winston * Levi * Zev * Theodore

Arabella * Aviva * Ariella * Maeve * Matilda * Eleanor * Catherine * Charlotte * Beatrice

GIRLS

Rowena Claire (pronounced Row-enn-a; nn Winnie) - an intelligent, sophisticated, elegant, gentle woman who has magical gift of foretelling the future. I've always imagined a Rowena with flaming redhair and cat-green eyes who dresses flamboyantly.
    Amabel Jane (May-bell) - a sweet, romantic dreamer who often seems lost in her thoughts. When she must, she'll return to earth to unleash her striking spirit on the unsuspecting world! A charmer when she wants to be!
    Marian Lily - Strong but soft-spoken, capable and methodical, a nurturer and lover of children
    Heloise Dove (Lu or Lilou) - prissy, prim and proper, deceitful, cunning, unattractive and vain! My image comes from the sound of the name more than by knowing someone. I prefer Eloise. Louisa and Louise are family names for me so I love them much more than Heloise.

BOYS

Theodore James (Teddy or Theo) - Smart, serious, studious, class president and valectorian. I love smart men!
    Cedric Muir - geeky, nerdy, computer whiz that spends hours in front of the computer
    Jude Peregrine - a strong, masculine, curious, adventurous boy who loves wandering the forest. He's also a little quirky!
    Magnus Hart (Mack) - A big-hearted, generous bear of a man. Not the brightest star in the sky but often the loudest man in the room. ()
    All the best,
    Mischa.