Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I don't think so. My family has never pronounced my name consistently - parents pronounce Laura with the first syllable rhyming with the letter "r" and siblings/grandparents/aunts/sometimes my dad pronounce it with the first syllable rhyming with "ore".

From another angle, if different pronunciations were going to confuse a kid, wouldn't you think nicknames would do the same since he would have "two" names? Yet many of us would be totally okay with calling Lucas Luke or Nicholas Nick. I wouldn't worry about it - it might even be cool to preserve both his French-Canadian and American heritage

Laura & Derek

Beatrix - Camille/a - Eleanor (Lena) - Isla - Lila - Leonie - Margot
    Arthur - Clark - Gabriel - Graham - Locke/Lachlan - Shepherd

Guilty Pleasures:
    Andromeda - Lúthien - Vesper - Zephyr

I don't think it's a problem at all either! I'm assuming you may pronounce other words slightly differently as well? If you're speaking both languages to him, having a slightly different pronunciation of his name may actually cue him to which language he should prepare himself to attend to (complete speculation).
    Loving right now:
    Eulalie Catharina, Beatrix Eveline, Cecily Morgana
    Ivo Marius, Euan Casper, Remy Nathaneal, Crispin Adair

Quote Originally Posted by raptreverie View Post
    I don't think it's a problem at all either! I'm assuming you may pronounce other words slightly differently as well? If you're speaking both languages to him, having a slightly different pronunciation of his name may actually cue him to which language he should prepare himself to attend to (complete speculation).
    Couldn't have said it better! I think it is important for your child to feel connected to both his cultures.
    Mom to... Augustine Mark "Augie", India Marie "Indie", Theodore Odell "Teddy" and Philippa Lee "Pippa"

For me having both my parents pronounce my name the same way would be important. To me a name is more than just letters on a page and the meaning behind them, it's also about the sound. While I think it's important to choose a name that works in all of your future children's "native" languages I would possibly consider names that also sound similar. To me there is something about how your name is pronounced - how you roll your "r's", where you put the emphasis, the rhythm with which you say it - that truly makes a name yours. (It's one of the reasons I struggle with my list. I need it to sound great and very similar in English, German and Spanish. This has forced me to eliminate names like Jasper which I love in English but just loose all sparkle in German and Spanish - even if our children will spend most of their lives in the US).

To me it doesn't matter if other family members or friends pronounce it slightly differently but it's important for me that both of my parents pronounce it the same.

If you like Nicholas (NIK-ə-ləs) but your wife would pronounce it nee-ko-LAH why not consider the Serbian version Nikola (like famous inventor Nikola Tesla)? The same with Lucas the italian Luca could fit that bill. A lot of classic names have other versions that are very similar but might allow for a more similar pronunciation by both parents. (I'd check out behindthename.com and look at the list of variants at the bottom of the page. I've found some names down there that I've love more than the original name I would have been considering.)
    Last edited by lexiem; October 25th, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

Nope, I don't think so. My parents have always pronounced both my names differently, much more differently than how Nicholas and Lucas sounds. It's made me much more low-maintenance about mispronunciations. And I think Reverie hit the nail on the head with her post.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]