Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I wouldn't worry about it. We're considering Kian for a son... which I (an American) pronounce as Key-in, and DH (an Iranian) pronounces as Key-on. This actually extends to most names we're considering. He pronounces Soren more like Su-ren, whereas I say Sore-in. His 'V' is midway between a 'V' and a 'W'... so Valentina has a bit of a w in there... just a bit. The only way we could ever possibly avoid this issue would be to choose from 2 or 3 Iranian girls names which are pronounced the same in both languages, and pray we don't have boys... Because even if we chose Iranian names for them, my accent would play in it. To me, this is just one of those quirks of having an international marriage. Will it confuse the kids a lot? No, I don't think so... after all, it's quite similar to having a nickname. They'll probably go with the pronunciation that the majority of the people in your community use. However, this is beneficial, as they will have both an English name and a Quebecois name.

After thinking about this... my uncle's name is Philip. Everyone pronounces it the English way, except my grandma (who is French-Canadian), and the family when they are speaking French. They also use the French pronunciation as a nickname for him, to the point that I tend to think of the French pronunciation as his nn, and the English pronunciation as his "normal" name (I don't speak French, so that might be why)... He uses the English pronunciation in daily life (he lives in the US), and never seems to have been particularly confused... I don't think it's such a big deal... just another interesting effect of globalization...
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

Well, in an ideal world, the answer would be yes. However, the world is getting smaller and many people are born with many cultures in their family heritage. In your situation, where your child many grow up to be bilingual in English and French, I don't think it would be too confusing. In fact, it may turn out to be beneficial for your child to know his name can be pronounced a couple of ways and both are correct!
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I don't think it's a problem at all. It's similar to parents using different nicknames or one parent using a nickname while the other parent uses the child's full name.
    Mom to Paul, Clare, Mark, Katharine, James, and Andrew
    Future girl: Grace Elizabeth
    Future boy: Peter, Thomas, or Isaac

I work in a day care and their is a little boy named Julian who response to both -Jewl-ee-an- and -Who-le-an- When we asked the teacher which she wanted us to say she said it didn't matter. It isn't a big deal for him, and makes a lot of sense actually. He is learning both languages.
    Wanting to be pregnant.

Nope, not a big deal. Where I live almost everyone comes from a bi/multicultural background. It's very common for kids to grow up hearing different pronunciations of their name within their own home.

Fox * Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Greer * Blaise
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Linden * Arden