Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tainted Names?

Tainted Names?

There are some names that all civilized people probably agree are tainted - either forever or at least for a very long time - such as Adolph, Stalin, and Himmler. But there are a lot of other names that are arguably tainted for reasons not as serious as genocide. There are names that are widely considered tainted (like Lolita) and others that may be tainted only in one's personal opinion (like Bella due to Twilight). I'm curious what names everyone else considers to be off-limits either society-wide or for themselves personally due to a generally known association. Anyone?
    #1 on the way!
    Why yes, I probably should be working!

Benjamin * Sebastian * Ezra * Edmund * Henry * Hugo * Cormac * Andrew * Winston * Levi * Zev * Theodore

Arabella * Aviva * Ariella * Maeve * Matilda * Eleanor * Catherine * Charlotte * Beatrice

Delilah is definitely tainted to Christians, but it is still a popular enough name.
    Regardless of whether or not you are Christian, I definitely think Lucifer is a tainted unusable name (I find Lucifer to be a pretty name but the stigmatization renders it unusable)

You're unlikely to find many Margaret's or Maggie's amongst a lot of Britons, though I expect it's fairly popular with the rest.

I very much doubt there will be many little Bashir's going around Syria if the opposition does win.

I don't know if Saddam or Osama will ever recover aside from the fringe.
    Tallulah, Persephone, Eris, Saskia, Natasha, Zhanna, Matthias, Andreas, Dean, Isaac, Jude, Christopher, Caleb, Victor, Fabian, Skyler, Dexter, Cecily, Alannah, Savannah, Hester, Britta, Xanthe, Temperence, Violetta, Anton, Anatoly, Maksym, Ilya, Raphael, Gabriel, Xanthe, Carmen, Electra, Dahlia.

Jezebel seems pretty tainted to me.
    Mom to Emberlee Shea. Expecting #2 Aug 2014.

Benedict? Or are we over that?

It occurs to me that a lot of people who might inspire revulsion have very common names, so there's obviously an element of how closely linked a name is to that particular person.

Anyone naming their kid Miley right now is probably endorsing a particular celebrity. But someone opting for Karl isn't necessarily doing it because they're a Marxist.

I was led to think about this because I really like the names Lolita and Noam (and because of a thread about the name Gypsy a few days ago). But Lolita is still off-limits, and I wonder whether it always will be. Noam isn't off-limits society-wide, but I can't separate Noam from Chomsky. I remain curious about other name taboos anyone has run up against.
    #1 on the way!
    Why yes, I probably should be working!

Benjamin * Sebastian * Ezra * Edmund * Henry * Hugo * Cormac * Andrew * Winston * Levi * Zev * Theodore

Arabella * Aviva * Ariella * Maeve * Matilda * Eleanor * Catherine * Charlotte * Beatrice