Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Names from books/movies/video games/etc.

What names do you love from different forms of entertainment? Even if they're ridiculous or you'd never use them!

Hubby and I both like the name Roxas, a character from the video game Kingdom Hearts. Also, he recently suggested Freya for a girl, which he heard from another game, but I don't recall which.

I have a friend named Kirdan, which is a respelling of the name of an elf in The Lord if the Rings books. He has a sister named Galadriel.

I think it'd be awesome to use Rue or Primrose or even Katniss from Hunger Games.

I'm sure I could think of more. What are some of your favorites?
    mara tenille
    due with baby #1 on 7-3-14

freya - adelaide - eloise - evelyn - vera - blythe - vivienne
    finneas - tobias - knox - sparrow - jude - ezekiel

I dread a television show or movie (or game now that you've brought that to my attention) giving a character one of the names that I love. I mind books far less, though I'd hate for something along the lines of the Twilight series to give a character a name I love; that's about the equivalent of tv. First, there's the problem of too many people jumping on the bandwagon for that name (often without having any clue about what made it great to begin with). Second, there's the problem of the person who already liked it now being stuck reconsidering the name in light of its new, pop culture baggage. X2 when a celebrity adopts the name for an offspring.

I loved Phineas nn Finny for half my life (thank you A Separate Peace); I was appalled and extremely disappointed when I learned there was a cartoon character who had been named Phineas. My neighbors' kids wanted to name their dog Phineas, and I was delighted until I discovered it was because of some stupid cartoon.
    #1 on the way!
    Why yes, I probably should be working!

Benjamin * Sebastian * Ezra * Edmund * Henry * Hugo * Cormac * Andrew * Winston * Levi * Zev * Theodore

Arabella * Aviva * Ariella * Maeve * Matilda * Eleanor * Catherine * Charlotte * Beatrice

Haha, I was annoyed about the cartoon too... but Julia Roberts has a son named Phinneaus, so hope is not lost!
    mara tenille
    due with baby #1 on 7-3-14

freya - adelaide - eloise - evelyn - vera - blythe - vivienne
    finneas - tobias - knox - sparrow - jude - ezekiel

Madigan. I saw a kids tv show when I was younger that had a girl called this. It was until later that I realised her fn name was actually Garland and Maddigan (I'd got the spelling wrong) was her surname, but I still really love Madigan for a girls fn. I also have a bit of a soft spot for LOTR names
    - Evelyn - Alice - Margot - Edith - Maeve - Gaia - Sylvie - Indira - Martha - Beatrix - Miriam (Miri) - Freya -

- Seth - Marcus - Stefan - Roran (Rory) - Caspar - Reuben - Malachi - Christopher (Kit) - Eben - Gideon -

- Eden - Indigo - Ezri - Ophelia (Effie) - Zinnia - / - Tycho - Atticus - Beckett - Marius - Zephyr -

Reeve has been my favorite boy name since I read A Face on the Milk Carton when I was like 10.
    Really like Arwen but have pretty much decided not to use it.
    Carreen (Caroline Irene) from Gone With the Wind
    My husband loved the name Namira from Skyrim (the sound, not the fact that she is the goddess of decay or whatever) and we eventually got to Mira by deciding that we wouldn't want to use Namira or Nameera.
    Personal Favorites: Mira Cairdeas and Darrow Paine

Best Wishes To All