Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by apollonia View Post
    All of us care to some degree what others think of us, and that's really not a bad thing.

Nameberry is the safest place I know of for discussing vintage name loves.

Gain confidence by practicing expressing your opinion even -- if not especially -- when it differs from others' opinions.

Practice here on Nameberry as opposed to other forums or with family and friends.

Playing with names is only as fun as the level of excitement you feel for the names you're playing with.
    That's very true, Nameberry is relatively safe, but some users do seem rather blunt (even when they perhaps, shouldn't be), and that can lead to being hurtful, haha. I'd like to practice my names here, but I'm always a bit nervous about it, because everyone seems attracted to the posts of certain users, and not the posts of others (ie; me). I know why everything bothers me so much, but I don't like to admit it I think.
    "While some of the brightest of our celestial bodies are actually extinct now, their energy long since cooled; miraculously, because they float in the heavens so far away from us now, their beautiful light will continue to shine on us forever, and the glow will be so bright, it'll warm your heart, it'll make your eyes glisten, and it'll make you think to yourselves; what a concept"

I can get upset if my Husband says horrible things about names I love, but he usually doesn't. I cried for a while after it was pointed out to me why one of my favourite names, and likely name for this baby, was a bad idea, but the concerns were valid and I agreed with them. If I hadn't agreed with the points being made I wouldn't have cared.

I don't know if your age might have something to do with it, most people are more concerned with other peoples opinions when they're teenagers. You gain confidence as you grow older and get to know yourself better. By the time you're 25 and your brain's fully developed you won't be so bothered about these things.

Now, about the other thing you said above about some people being blunt... that's how it is. You are going to run into lots of different people during your life and not everyone will treat you like a frail porcelain doll. Some people are blunt and straight forward, others are sensitive and careful. Don't put so much weight on what others say. Also, from what I've seen, your threads get plenty of responses.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Being rejected by strangers on Nameberry is easier than being rejected by family and friends.

That's why it's such a great place to practice (in addition to Nameberry's love for historically well-established names in general).

Over time, you'll become less sensitive to criticism and more confident about your name loves.

You're a sweetheart, Haley; I have a feeling more Berries are going to support you in your vintage naming quest than not.

Quote Originally Posted by lawsonhaley View Post
    That's very true, Nameberry is relatively safe, but some users do seem rather blunt (even when they perhaps, shouldn't be), and that can lead to being hurtful, haha. I'd like to practice my names here, but I'm always a bit nervous about it, because everyone seems attracted to the posts of certain users, and not the posts of others (ie; me). I know why everything bothers me so much, but I don't like to admit it I think.
    All of us care to some degree what others think of us, and that's really not a bad thing.

Nameberry is the safest place I know of for discussing vintage name loves.

Gain confidence by practicing expressing your opinion even -- if not especially -- when it differs from others' opinions.

Practice here on Nameberry as opposed to other forums or with family and friends.

Playing with names is only as fun as the level of excitement you feel for the names you're playing with.
    Erma | Flossie | Gladys | Gussie | Millie | Minerva | Myrtle | Winifred | Zelda

V i n t a g e | C h a r m

Barnaby Clifford | Chester Ferdinand | Cosmo Arthur | Frazier Gatsby | Grover Felix
    Luther Clancy | Newton Rutherford | Watson Currier

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    I can get upset if my Husband says horrible things about names I love, but he usually doesn't. I cried for a while after it was pointed out to me why one of my favourite names, and likely name for this baby, was a bad idea, but the concerns were valid and I agreed with them. If I hadn't agreed with the points being made I wouldn't have cared.

I don't know if your age might have something to do with it, most people are more concerned with other peoples opinions when they're teenagers. You gain confidence as you grow older and get to know yourself better. By the time you're 25 and your brain's fully developed you won't be so bothered about these things.

Now, about the other thing you said above about some people being blunt... that's how it is. You are going to run into lots of different people during your life and not everyone will treat you like a frail porcelain doll. Some people are blunt and straight forward, others are sensitive and careful. Don't put so much weight on what others say. Also, from what I've seen, your threads get plenty of responses.
    it probably does have a lot to do with my age and past experiences! & I wouldn't say plenty haha, most seem to go relatively ignored.
    "While some of the brightest of our celestial bodies are actually extinct now, their energy long since cooled; miraculously, because they float in the heavens so far away from us now, their beautiful light will continue to shine on us forever, and the glow will be so bright, it'll warm your heart, it'll make your eyes glisten, and it'll make you think to yourselves; what a concept"

Being rejected by strangers on Nameberry is easier than being rejected by family and friends.

That's why it's such a great place to practice (in addition to Nameberry's love for historically well-established names in general).

Over time, you'll become less sensitive to criticism and more confident about your name loves.

You're a sweetheart, Haley; I have a feeling more Berries are going to support you in your vintage naming quest than not.
    That's true, it's a lot easier to hear someone I don't know say that they hate the name Clementine, rather than hearing my mum say it. I hope you're right about the sensitivity thing! Aw, thank you, that's nice of you to say Hopefully you're right!