Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Should I ask her permission?

Alright, so DH was dead set on Vaughn. I like it enough, but then he suggested Jack and I think Jack is much better, and I'm starting to fall in love with it. I can picture our little Jack already. My problem is that a sort-of friend has just named her boy (born begining of October) Jaxon, she sometimes calls him Jax. Now, this person is actually my friends sister - but we are friends on Facebook, and occasionally see each other at social gatherings. We are somehwat close with their (huge) family, and used to rent a property from them. She is not someone I spend time with, though, other than the random get together or kids birthday party. Should I ask her if she minds if we use Jack, since it's so close to Jaxon? My fear is that she will say that she does mind, and then I have to start all over again after falling in love with yet another name that I can't use. What would you do?
    ~ Mommy to Callum Rhys and Jack William ~

Girls: Eleanor, Meara, Louisa, Jane, Sylvie, Iris
    Boys: Edmund, Leland, Rowan, Beckett, Samuel

I don't think the two of you are close enough to warrant having to ask for permission, especially since it wouldn't even be quite the same name, and it's one that's fairly popular anyway.

Mama to Quentin Charles, born July 4!

Russell Theodore || ??
    Catherine Violet || Ava Kathleen

No, I don't think so. And I am very critical when it comes to actual name napping. This is a different name. Also Jackson/ Jackson as well as Jack are very common and popular names, so both you and your facebook friend will come across many boys with the same name. When your friend chose Jaxon she probably knew that. And you're not even sisters or best friends, so no, I don't think there is reason to ask her permission.

No you don't.
    Jack is a common enough name and Jaxon/Jackson is a common trendy name. I would only ask someone's permission to use a name if it was uncommon/rare and creative. Something that they obviously could have only gotten from you.
    I would however mention that to her that you planned to name your son Jack, if you are telling people ahead of time that is, as you wouldn't want to give her the impression that you were trying to hide it from her.
    Relax.

No, you don't need to ask permission. It's not even the same name as Jaxon, and both Jackson/Jaxon and Jack are very common names. I wouldn't worry about it at all. We named our daughter Madelyn two years after our best friend's sister named her daughter Madeline. It was never an issue. In fact, our Maddy's even share the same birthday, which they now think is pretty cool! Same name and same birthday.
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). Expecting #5 in May 2015.

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas, Desmond, Jasper, Ezekiel
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista, Miriam, Isabelle, Delilah

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996