Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

He likes plain and I like unique!

My fiance and I are in a battle of names. He's like plain and classic names like his, Michael. While I like more adventurous but not to crazy. Sense my name is one of the most common for women in their 20s and even 30's, Ashley. He was home schooled so he has yet to really experience being 1 out 5 Ashley's in a single class room and never actually being called by your full or real name due to confusion. So here's a list of first and middle names. I'd love some input on which are good, great, amazing, or you just hate. Say what you feel, I'm open to other options as well, so share away!

Michael's Names:
    Jane Elizabeth
    Elizabeth Marie
    Mary Ann
    Catherine "Katie" Nicole
    Emily May
    Julie Jane "He wants to call her JJ"
    Alexandra Lee
    Rebecca Grace
    Sophia Marie

Ashley's Names:
    Lilibeth Ann
    Addie Mae
    Ava Blair
    Felicity Rose
    Avery Quinn
    Bella Jane
    Juliet "?"
    Emmeline "?"
    Harper Grace
    Arabella "?"
    Scarlett Rose

"?" = have yet to find a good middle name

I like most of your list and only a couple on his. . Perhaps you both could agree on Alessandra, Eloise, Evelyn?
    Mom to Emberlee Shea. Expecting #2 Aug 2014.

To be perfectly honest, none of the names on your list are particularly "unique" except Felicity. In fact, most of your names are far more popular than his -- and considerably more trendy. Jane and Mary, for instance, are much rarer than Harper and Bella. If you name your daughter Ava, she is pretty much guaranteed to be one out of 5 girls with this name in her class -- exactly the situation you had hoped to avoid. I highly recommend checking out the SSA Top 1000 to get a better sense of what names are actually "plain" and "unique".

Here are a few suggestions that you and your husband might agree on:

Georgia
    Adele
    Nova
    Samara
    Arabella
    Naomi
    Gabrielle
    Lila
    Arden
    Everly
    Lola
    Calla
    Katrina
    Willa
    Delilah
    Cora
    Eleanor
    Josephine nn Josie
    Maggie
    Ariella
    Nora
    Celia
    Genevieve
    Fiona
    Eliza
    Caroline
    Gemma
    Stella
    Phoebe
    Katya
    Daphne
    Lucy
    Madeline
    Penelope
    Maris
    Alessandra
    Elspeth
    Elsie
    Linnea
    Embry
    Annora
    Delaney
    Adelaide
    Virginia
    Tessa
    Noelle
    Ainsley
    Laura
    Jillian
    Bianca
    Annabel
    Francesca
    Eloise
    Dahlia
    Aria
    Marina
    Amelia
    Thalia
    Adrienne
    Bellamy
    Clara
    Verity
    Mercy
    Leonie
    Constance
    Alice
    Ruby
    Mila
    Carlotta
    Sadie
    Charlotte
    Mirabel
    Etta

Do any of these strike your fancy, or his?

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

I had been considering Bellamy, Phoebe, Everly but spelled Everlee, Arabella and Alessandra. But I hadn't heard Annora and just completely fell in love with it. And I know some of mine aren't actually that unique but those were the only ones he thought were okay. Really wanted names like Snow, Blythe, Lennox, Rayanne, Laurel and Monet but he loathed all of them. Thanks for your suggestions I cant wait to show him.

What about...

Juliet Jane, Julia Jane or Juliana Jane (can still call her JJ, which I think is cute) - compromise on Julie/Juliet

Emmeline May - compromise on Emily May/Emmeline

Elizabeth Marie (but use Lilibeth for a nickname, I also had a cousin who went by "EB" or you could do something vintage like Eliza) - compromise on Elizabeth Marie/Lilibeth Ann

I would avoid using Sophia and Catherine (or any form of Katie) if it is important not to have a super popular name. I know a couple of Addie's, Ava's and Bella's too. Also, Rose is a common middle name and Grace is very popular as a first and middle name.

I also think the middle is a good place to use a little more unusual name if he is stuck on using a common first name. What about using a favorite color (if you have the same one) or a location that is special to you?

Good luck!
    Mom to... Augustine Mark "Augie", India Marie "Indie", Theodore Odell "Teddy" and Philippa Lee "Pippa"