Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink Classics without nicknames?

My friend is having a baby boy, and knows I love names, so asked for my help. She's a teacher, so she has an especially tough time choosing a name because of all the associations to former students.

She requested a name that is not trendy, hipster, or with a weird spelling (pretty easy request for Berries to oblige I'd imagine!).

William, Charles, Thomas, and David are on their almost-but-not-quite list, so obviously classic names. But the catch: she doesn't like any of their associated nicknames! (Actually, she does like Liam for William, but it sounds almost just like their last name).

Can you help me think of a big list of classic, non-trendy, traditionally spelled boys names, without an automatic nickname?

(and if there is a thread I missed with this list already, sorry for the repeat, I'm searching on my phone.)

Thanks Berries!
    momma to Vivienne Grey

{currently considering}

Colette Isadora Fiona Daphne Margot Bianca Ophelia Francesca Theodora Arabelle Leonora Louisa

Sebastian Felix Hugo Rex Henry Frederick Abraham Everett Gus

If Charles -> Carl, then it loses nn potential but still sounds neat and classic.

George
    Mark
    Justin
    Owen
    Henry has nn's, but they're not so obvious - it's easy to stick with just Henry
    Paul
    Adam
    John - obviously there are nn's, but it's short and sweet enough that it shouldn't be hard to get people to use it as is. i actually really love John
    Jonah/Jonas
    Luke
    Noah
    Eric
    Oscar

Jack, Henry, Theodore (but Theo is a really cute nickname), Rowland, Duncan, Harrison, George
    I'll keep thinking, this is harder than I thought!

Jack, Henry, Theodore (but Theo is a really cute nickname), Rowland, Duncan, Harrison, George
    I'll keep thinking, this is harder than I thought!

Is it that your friend wants a name that doesn't lend itself well to a nn or just doesn't like the nn associated with their almost list? I feel like every classic name has some nn, just by virtue of having been around for so long. But still, here are a few options that leap immediately to mind:

Paul
    Andrew
    Samuel
    Benjamin (though I'm hoping fewer people will choose this one!)
    Christopher (nn expand beyond Chris to Kit, Kip, and Topher)
    Edmund (which comes with cute, unusual nn Ned)
    Arthur
    Henry
    Louis
    Quincy
    Adam
    Robert
    Clarence
    Tobias
    Stephen
    Anthony
    James
    Byron
    Eli
    Warren
    Frederick
    Franklin
    Charles
    Abraham

There are many, many more, but those few should give you something to mull til everyone else chimes in.
    Last edited by freya_1983; October 21st, 2013 at 10:33 PM.
    TTC
    Why yes, I probably should be working!

Benjamin * Sebastian * Ezra * Edmund * Henry * Hugo * Cormac * Andrew * Winston * Levi * Zev * Theodore

Arabella * Aviva * Ariella * Maeve * Matilda * Eleanor * Catherine * Charlotte * Beatrice