Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sororities?

Sororities?

I never that that I would actually be asking a question like this, but here goes. I'm currently a college sophomore, and I'm interested in joining a sorority. I've always been sort of wary of sororities (see sorority girl stereotype), but now that I'm in college, and so many of my friends have pledged, I'm seeing more of what it's really about. And I'm interested in rushing.

But there are a couple of things: My parents are completely, 100%, adamantly against it. They do not want me to rush. But they only cite the normal "You don't need to buy your friends" excuse. And I've already given my answer to that ("Over half my friends are Greeks--I wouldn't be paying for them to be my friends"). I'm also not sure that I'd be able to afford it. Fees at my school are fairly low, but since I'm the one footing my school bill, and I have not yet been able to find a job at school, I don't have much extra spending money during the year.

The latter is probably going to steer me clear of rushing. But recruitment starts tomorrow, and I'm still deciding if I want to go through it or not.

And it's at this point that I'm turning to outside help. I've talked to a few friends about it, but they fall into one of three camps--already Greeks themselves, rushing this recruitment cycle, or against it. I think that opinions from people completely removed from the situation would be helpful.

So, what do you think of sororities? Pros and cons of joining? Thanks so much!
    Tabby
    College student, nerd, Pinterest addict.

"The most beautiful voice in the world is that of an educated Southern woman."

Belles: Eleanor/Elinor, Isabel/Isobel, Cleo, Estelle, Angela, Virginia, Ruth, Caroline, Georgia, Cassidy, Magnolia, Elizabeth, May (*any of these names may be prefaced with Mary, Anne, Anna, or Jane)
    Beaus: James, Alden, Emery, William, Russell, Howard, Chandler, Colby

When I was in college, most all of my friends and I rushed, but few actually joined a sorority. We got offers, but we weren't interested in joining sororities. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Rush week is a blast to be a part of, but I don't think I would have liked being a part of the full greek life as it is very time consuming. But to be honest, it's all your choice.

Can someone explain the idea of sororities to me and why people would join? I've heard all that stuff about initiations [gone wrong] and how cliquey they are and things like that but never what they really are. I'm guessing they're not really a "thing" in Canada since no one I know is in or trying to join one- I and most of my friends are in first year university.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Victoria, Diana, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy... don't love many boys' names!

I also have no general idea of what sororities are... someone explain please?
    ~Tali~

Girls: Ivy, Caroline, Bryony, Augusta, Idony, Sephora, Elizabeth, Sage, Delphine

Boys: Adrian, Halcyon, Everett, Nathaniel, Elliott, Brighton, Theodore, Levi, Camden

Sororities are Greek organizations (they are named using letters of the Greek alphabet). They are often social, and always support a philanthropy (breast cancer awareness, Ronald McDonald House, special-needs camps, Make-A-Wish Foundation, etc). It's a great way to develop a network of contacts (all women how were/are in the same sorority, no matter where they went to school, are considered to be connected, and are expected to help each other out with jobs, recommendations, etc), and since sororities are usually pretty active on college campuses, there's almost always something to do. Sororities can be seen as cliquey because sisters tend to hang out together, but they're usually pretty welcoming. National councils like the College Panhellenic Council have been cracking down a lot on things like hazing (which is generally what people hear about when it comes to Greek life, not the great philanthropy that they do), and it's not as big of an issue except at schools with huge Greek organizations, where things would be more easily covered-up by the Greeks. But even there it rarely exists, and as soon as there is suspicion of hazing or other inappropriate behavior, the organization is put on probation pending investigation. If the investigation concludes that the charges are true, the organization is shut down immediately for a certain number of years (usually five, so all members of the organization have left the university before the chapter gets started again).

I am a sister in Alpha Delta Pi. I always knew that I'd be joining a sorority (and I pretty much knew that it would be ADPi because almost all of the women in my mother's family for the past three generations have been in ADPi). It really is an amazing experience, and most sororities will work with you to come up with a payment plan for dues and such. Just don't bring it up during recruitment--wait until you have a bid to approach the subject of money. You can always turn down the bid if you don't think it's financially feasible for you to join, and most sororities will understand if it is money keeping you from joining. On the other hand, many sororities offer scholarships, which you would be eligible for your second year as a sister. If you get awarded a scholarship, it would go towards your school bill, not your sorority dues, but it would free up some money that would otherwise be spent on your school bill. But be aware of other indirect costs (t-shirts, spirit jerseys, chapter meeting snacks, etc) as they can add up quickly.

I'd say go ahead and rush, and, if you get a bid, talk seriously with your parents and with the Greek Life office at your school. See what you can come up with. It can be expensive, but it can also be worth it if you think about the network you'll have of other sisters.

(Also, I think it's really great that you're paying for your own schools. It's great that you're not relying on your parents to support you.)
    My sweet girls:

Olive Rae (03/30/2009)
    Anneliese Phoebe (08/25/2012)