Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ooh, this is fun! Of course London is a must, for all the reasons everyone else has said. I also second Cornwall, particularly the south of the county. Sandy beaches, spectacular views, ice cream, friendly people, legends, pasties - it pretty much has everything haha. Depending on what you're interested in, I'd recommend Tintagel for romance and magic and history, Falmouth for quirky shopping and art, the Lizard Peninsular and the Roseland Peninsular for gorgeous little villages... I could go on but this is only from my experience of childhood holidays, I know someone like @charlieandperry1 (who I'm pretty sure is Cornish if I remember correctly) would be able to advise you better. Oh I Just remembered St Michael's Mount in Marazion. Beautiful little island with a castle and a causeway.

Anyway, enough of me getting excited over Cornwall. Others have already suggested the Lake District and I couldn't agree more, especially if you're into walking. I'd also recommend the Peak District for amazing scenery and walking. Chatsworth, the home of the Devonshires, is stunning.

Closer to (my) home in the south, there's the Chilterns, with chocolate-box countryside and villages.

St Davids in Wales is lovely, as is Fishguard. I'm most familiar with Pembrokeshire but I know Snowdonia is amazing. In Scotland I'd definitely recommend Edinburgh, and if you're going further afield then Loch Lomond is stunning. I haven't been to Ireland for the longest time so other than Dublin I wouldn't know where to suggest, although I remember Bunratty being lovely.

In terms of cities, other than London I agree with Brighton, Bath, York, Chester, Edinburgh, Dublin, Cardiff etc. Oxford, Cambridge, Canterbury, Winchester, Windsor and Lincoln are all lovely. Museums, castles, cathedrals, architecture etc.

Wow, sorry for rambling a little! Hope this is useful, I might pop back and add bits here and there if I think of anything else.
    W h a t ' s . . .

Rose | Matilda | Clara | Selah| Alberta | Iris
    Edmund | Wilfred | Asa | Felix | Leander

. . . n e x t ?

For Scotland, I would 100% recommend the Caledonian Canal and the lakes along it, especially Loch Ness.

For England, I would recommend the Lake District, Cornwall, York, Cambridge, Norfolk, North Yorkshire (particularly Harrogate & Grassington), and Lincoln, which I feel morally obliged to point out, is lovely.

I've been to England many times, Ireland once and Scotland once. Personally, I love art galleries and museums and the best thing is that many of these attractions are free of charge. If you are going to be in one city for a couple of days, it might be wise to purchase a city pass (it allows entry into the most expensive attractions and some include transportation too). If you and your family are not renting a car, I can recommend getting a train pass for a couple of days. I did that and it's well worth the expense. You don't have to worry about money and you can travel anywhere in Britain. There are some wonderful cathedral towns I wandered around and most of them are an hour or two outside of London. I love to walk and if you do bring a comfortable pair of shoes.

England -

London - Kensington Palace and gardens, Hyde Park and Regent Park for great walks, National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery, Victoria and Albert Museum, Somerset House and the Courthauld gallery, Tate Britain and Tate Modern, Westminster Abbey, Changing of the Guard at Buckinghame Palace, The Tower of London (you can spend a whole day at this place), the London Eye (if it's not cloudy), a Thames boat cruise

Outskirts of London - Dulwich Gallery, Hampton Court, Greenwich

England - Using London as my base, I visited the seaside town of Brighton and its Royal Pavilion and Brighton Pier, the lovely city of Bath for its Georgian architecture and Jane Austen connection, the cathedral towns of Winchester, Hereford, Canterbury and Salisbury (you can catch a bus to Stonehenge from this lovely town), the university towns of Cambridge and Oxford (I prefer Cambridge if you have to choose one). When I stayed in Manchester, I visited Liverpool and took a Mersey ferry ride and went to the Beatles Museum. I also got to see Ludlow in Shropshire and its ruined castle and gorgeous town as well as towns of Durham and York with their huge cathedrals.

Scotland - I was only here for a day so I hopped on the 24-hour Sightseeing bus and stopped off at a couple of places that interested me: Edinburgh Castle is a must and the Royal Mile walk (lots of shops and St Giles Cathedral are here), Holyrood House (when the Queen isn't in residence), Princes Street for shopping and souvenirs

Ireland - I stayed in Dublin and used my train pass to travel all over the country (the Republic). It saved me so much money because I used it for more trips than I paid for. In Dublin, there is Trinity College and the Book of Kells, St Patrick's Cathedral, I took some day bus tours as well to the Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle, the Ring of Kerry and the Connemara coast, the lakes of Killarney and County Galway . I made a pilgrimage to the beautiful city of Kilkenny because that's the place my mother's family were originally from before emigrating to Canada in the early 1800's. I had the best ice cream ever in a little town called Sneem (honeycomb flavor). If I ever get to Northern Ireland one day, the Giant's Causeway attaction is on my bucket list. This post is bringing back so many wonderful memories!
    All the best,
    Mischa.

My favourite place: Runswick Bay [the Yorkshire coastline] http://www.discoveryorkshirecoast.co...bay%20pano.jpg
    Northallerton is an excellent base cmap for the North of England as it is in the middle of the moors and the dales and less than an hour from the coastline. You could also do an excursion to the Lake District [lakes and mountains] or Northumberland [and visit Ren in Liverpool.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...gh_Street_.jpg
    My favourite holiday place: Cornwall http://www.mevagisseymuseum.co.uk/mevagisseytoday1.jpg http://www.cornwall-online.co.uk/res...vaultbeach.jpg
    My favourite city: Edinburgh

<Dons her "I'm a quarter Welsh" hat with pride>

In Wales I recommend...

Llandiloes - just a beautiful, beautiful part of Wales (in Powys). Stunning scenery, lots to do and in a very historical part of Wales. Part of 'Arwystli Country'; Arwystli used to be a medieval Welsh kingdom. (Note: I'm slightly biased about this area, hint, hint!)

Talybont-on-Usk - a village located in the heart of the Brecon Beacons National Park. The scenery would take your breath away. I didn't think there would be so much to do, but there was loads, and taking a canal boat out on the canal is a must. Probably my second favorite place in Wales, after Arwystli Country (remember I'm biased about that area)!

Newcastle Emlyn - a quaint market town (popular of less than 1,000) and the site of a ruined castle. Perfect for a picnic, because of stunning views.
    ♥ Margaret Mary ♥
    19. Name nerd. College freshman.

~ Eliza Josephine ~ Esther Christabel ~ Harriet Aurelia ~ Mary Jessamine ~ Rose Georgina ~ Sarah Margaret ~
    ~ Asher Benedict ~ Gabriel Walter ~ John Constantine ~ Noah August ~ Reuben Alexander ~ Samuel Ernest ~