Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Would "Gypsy" be an offensive name in Europe?

I don't know much about the "gypsy" culture. I know there are several cultural names that when people not of that culture use people can take offense to it (like Cohen for example).

If a child was named "gypsy" (from america or wherever that culture does not exist) and traveled to europe, would it be considered offensive?

Just curious as to someone in the knows answer. Thanks!

Not positive, but I believe that since the word originated as a slur against people of that culture (Romani or nomadic peoples in general) it would be offensive no matter where it was used. Or if not offensive, at least uninformed and a smidge tactless.

I get the appeal somewhat, but if you like the sound, I'd go with Jessamy or something similar. Good luck!
    k♥m
    mid-20s. grad student at AU.
    Leona · Vivian · Florence · Beatrix · Zelda
    August · Barnaby · Winston · Atlas · Milo

It is very offensive to the Romani people, who are not just in Europe, btw. It is used as a slur against them, and has been for centuries.

Adele, Margot, Elsa & Henry, Felix, Oscar

It is offensive to the Romani people anywhere you go and is not limited to Europe.

"Gypsy" is a derogatory term for the Roma or Romany people. Period. It doesn't matter where you live. This group is found not only in Europe but in North America. I would advise you NOT to use it as a name.
    All the best,
    Mischa.