Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I have to admit that I do know people who's names I don't really like, but the more you know that person the more you associate them with the name and if you like them, it just becomes their name not just a name you hate. At least that's been my experience.

The dislike of the name doesn't go away completely and I certainly wouldn't use those names myself, but it gives you more understanding to have favorable connections.

5 years ago I would have told you that Ever and Mavis and Henri and Jamison were crazy stupid names for girls, but having met one of each and learned to really love them....well....I still don't like the name Jamison and I wouldn't name my own kids those names, but the names make me happy because the lovely faces of each girl is in my mind.

Before I really know a person who has a name I dislike, I guess I react to their name, but I don't think I'd treat them differently. I might smile more to somebody with my favorite name, but I wouldn't be rude to someone named Tallulah or Maude or Dwight.
    Last edited by kala_way; October 21st, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by rmbear View Post
    I know the sweetest kids with the most horrendous names. I don't give it a second thought.

This.

(seriously ten characters?)
    ~Tali~

Girls: Ivy, Caroline, Bryony, Augusta, Idony, Adeline, Elizabeth, Sage, Delphine

Boys: Adrian, Halcyon, Everett, Nathaniel, Elliott, Brighton, Theodore, Levi, Camden

Treating two kids differently because you like ones name more than the others is absurd. Jesus, I've never heard of such a thing. I know a little Sophia who is a complete monster, but her name is darling. I also know an Aa'Nyah whos name is atrocious, but who is the sweetest little thing. Are there really people out there who like people better based on their name?! I mean I hate a lot of the names my friends use on their kids, but that doesn't mean I hate their KIDS. It's not their fault their mom named them after a box of cereal or the last shot she did before she found out she was pregnant.

I do sometimes fantasize about renaming everyone I know, but more so with adults. My sister is Mary (she doesn't like it) and while I don't hate her name, I started calling her Mamie once my daughter could talk and it stuck, which I much prefer.

My husband's name is Shane and while I'm not a fan of it, it doesn't bother me in a real way. My dad's name is Danny (born in the 60s) and I do sometimes tell him he should go by Dan- I'm not sure if he listens, though

My mom's name is NMS at all- Shari, but it makes sense with her brothers' names (all similar popularity at the time they were born) so the consistency makes it ok in my mind. What annoys me the most is if one sibling is classic like Elizabeth with siblings named McKinlee and Jaxon or something.

But to answer your question, it doesn't make me treat anyone differently. Even if it did, it would be the parents, not the child.
    Last edited by tct1219; October 22nd, 2013 at 12:58 AM.
    Mom to 2 girls ♥ Bayard McConnell "Bay" & Marguerite Davis "Maple"

Quote Originally Posted by tarynamber View Post
    Treating two kids differently because you like ones name more than the others is absurd. Jesus, I've never heard of such a thing. ... Are there really people out there who like people better based on their name?!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fKkMlPpjSA

I was just curious to see if she's a one-off case, or whether it's something that other people do, albeit probably more subconsciously and not to the same level. Seems from the responses she's a one-off case, which I'm glad about.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George