Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are these respectable enough names? I want brutal opinions!

Hi all, I keep telling myself I need to stop posting on these baby boards, but I'm just obsessed with baby names! I'm not expecting, nor are me and my partner trying, but I constantly find myself thinking about future children's names!

Anyway, I've been hearing some awful baby names lately from friends who are having children, and it got me wondering if the names I like are good enough... you know? I find myself judging other peoples baby names lately... and I want mine to be perfect I guess. Not too pretentious, common, popular or dull... and not too over the top, or 'no one would hire someone with a name spelled Taeytn' (no joke thats an actual newborns name near me) ...and at the same time they have to be pronounceable, real names, not outdated... and not names they'll get bullied for...and also something with nickname potentials... Seems like a lot to ask for?

So here are my candidates, many have been favorites for a long time;

Verity (nn Vera or Ettie)
    Emilia (nn Millie)
    Amelie (nn Millie)
    Georgina (nn Georgie or Gina)
    Alexandra (possibly no nickname)
    Geneva (nn Gina, Ginny, or Eva)
    Anya (no nickname)

I would love some other suggestions too

Verity (nn Vera or Ettie) - Not my style, but a lovely name.
    Emilia (nn Millie) - Again, lovely, but not my style. Millie is a bit of a stretch from Emilia, unless you're pronouncing it em-ill-ee-uh. I've always heard em-ee-lee-uh.
    Amelie (nn Millie) - I love the name Amelie, again, Millie is a stretch. Frankly, I don't think this one needs a nickname.
    Georgina (nn Georgie or Gina) - Not my favorite.
    Alexandra (possibly no nickname) - I prefer Alexandria. Alexandra's a tad too popular, and frankly this one is the most prone to (wanted or not) a nickname.
    Geneva (nn Gina, Ginny, or Eva) - Are you Swiss? It's cute, but if the city has no meaning to you, it's a little silly.
    Anya (no nickname) - Cute. I like this name.

Suggestions:
    Sasha
    Ginevra
    Matilda
    Vienna
    Berenice
    Guinevere
    Natalie
    Verona
    Gemma
    Amedeo Enjolras Aristotle Leonardo Archer Olivier Mischa Liam Caspian Benedict Theodore Fitzwilliam
    Rosalie Evangeline Mirabelle Ophelia Alice Elisabeth Stella Titania Artemis Cicely Margarethe Thalia Astrid

No I'm not Swiss but my Godmother and namesake lives in Geneva.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo1411 View Post
    Hi all, I keep telling myself I need to stop posting on these baby boards, but I'm just obsessed with baby names! I'm not expecting, nor are me and my partner trying, but I constantly find myself thinking about future children's names!

Anyway, I've been hearing some awful baby names lately from friends who are having children, and it got me wondering if the names I like are good enough... you know? I find myself judging other peoples baby names lately... and I want mine to be perfect I guess. Not too pretentious, common, popular or dull... and not too over the top, or 'no one would hire someone with a name spelled Taeytn' (no joke thats an actual newborns name near me) ...and at the same time they have to be pronounceable, real names, not outdated... and not names they'll get bullied for...and also something with nickname potentials... Seems like a lot to ask for?

So here are my candidates, many have been favorites for a long time;

Verity (nn Vera or Ettie)
    Emilia (nn Millie)
    Amelie (nn Millie)
    Georgina (nn Georgie or Gina)
    Alexandra (possibly no nickname)
    Geneva (nn Gina, Ginny, or Eva)
    Anya (no nickname)

I would love some other suggestions too
    I think everyone secretly judges other people's baby name choices!

I honesty think of your names are very respectable and would work well in everyday society.

Verity - I love this name it's lovely, elegant, classic. I think the nicknames Vera and Ettie work nicely but I would prefer Vee which is just sweet. Verity is an effortless choice.

Emilia - Out of Amelia and Emilia, Emilia is my favourite the name is fresh and wholesome. Emilia has a lovely sound, she feels effortless and looks sweet. I also love the nicknames surrounding Emilia such as Emmy, Mila, Lia, Mia etc it's just a refreshing choice. A nice twist on Amelia.

Georgina - Ugh! I hate George names including Georgina which too me just sounds unattractive.

Alexandra - A lovely classic with a really demure sound. Alexandra feels refreshing and looks very elegant. She has a regal presence. She works world-wide and has a beautiful sound. I also love the nicknames surrounding Alexandra such as Alex, Lexi, Xandra, Ali etc. My favourite nickname is Lexi. Alexandra is a lovely name.

Geneva - Ah a gorgeous place name!! Geneva has a wholesome sound and looks very together. She's a sweet sound and visually looks pleasing. Geneva is just great. I love the nicknames you've mentioned for this delightful place name. I'd like to just mention the nicknames Gen, Evie, and Neva which is also cool.

Anya - A lovely name with so much spunk. I really don't feel Anya needs a nickname but a potential one could be Annie which is cute. I also like Anya as a nickname for Anastasia which is beautiful.

: )

I think all of your names could be defined as "respectable" so I'm going to rate them in order of preference.

1 Georgina
    2 Alexandra
    3 Verity
    4 Emilia
    5 Geneva
    6 Amelie
    7 Anya

Suggestions

Anneliese (combo of Amelie and Anya?)
    Theodora
    Louisa
    Helena