Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I would generally go for THAH-lee-ah but I think I'm probably wrong
    It's a pity as I love the th- sound at the start!
    I'm twenty with a furbaby named Frederick

* Beatrix * Clementine * Penelope * Cecilia * Margo *

* Theodore * Hugo * Edmund * Felix * Lysander *

Thay-lee-a is how I say it, and imo the prettiest sound. I've always been confused why Thalia gets the silent H treatment when so many other Th names make the Th sound. Theodore, Thaddaeus, Thisbe, Thora, etc. I really like Th names. Is the H in Th silent in other English speaking countries?
    Considering...
    Annika, Artemis, Bianca, Cassandra, Catherine, Evadne, Felicity, Gwendolen, Isabeau, Isadora, Juniper,
    Lorelei, Lyra, Octavia, Pandora, Petra, Sunniva, Thisbe, Thora

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian, Conrad, Damian, Desmond, Evander, Everett, Ezra, Griffin, Gwydion, Malachi,
    Peregrine, Phineas, Theodore

click for my name lists
    our furbabies: Sebastian and Oleander

I have no Greek qualifications but I'd pronounce Thalia either TAHL-ya, THAL-ya, or Tha-LEE-ya

depends upon my mood I guess?

I pronounce it TAHL-yah.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodfey View Post
    Thay-lee-a is how I say it, and imo the prettiest sound. I've always been confused why Thalia gets the silent H treatment when so many other Th names make the Th sound. Theodore, Thaddaeus, Thisbe, Thora, etc. I really like Th names. Is the H in Th silent in other English speaking countries?
    TH in Greek makes the TH sound. Like in Thisbe, Thalassa, Thanatos, Thrasos, etc.

To break down why it's thay-lee-a and not tahl-yah:

It's written like this -- theta alpha lambda epsilon iota alpha. Those sound like this -- th a l ee ah . The alpha like most vowels, is pronounced differently depending on what's around it. So the name is correctly said thay-lee-ah and it's also correct to say thah-lee-ah (though all my Greek people say it thay). Either way, it has to have the TH sound to be correct because of the theta.

I know the rest of you didn't ask, but Fey asked about the TH so I felt the need to go into details. :P
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014