Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How would you pronounce Thalia?

A character in a movie I saw recently was named Thalia but I don't recall how it was pronounced in the movie. I mentioned the name to my brother last night (pronouncing it Thay-lia) and he corrected me and pronounced it as Tah-lia or Tall-ia and that the H is not pronounced. My boyfriend insists that it's Thal-ia (Thal rhyming with Val). How have you heard it pronounced? Googling it gave me mixed results.

Ta-lia or Ta-lia

I am Greek, I speak Greek, and in Greek, Thalia is properly pronounced THAY-lee-ah (how you said it originally).
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

TAH-lee-ah. Unless you're Greek, I guess
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Well, someone's a PJO fan.
    In the US and UK, it's generally pronounced TAH-lee-uh. Though in it's original Greek, according to dantea, THAY-lee-uh is correct.
    Amedeo Enjolras Aristotle Leonardo Archer Olivier Mischa Liam Caspian Benedict Theodore Fitzwilliam
    Rosalie Evangeline Mirabelle Ophelia Alice Elisabeth Stella Titania Artemis Cicely Margarethe Thalia Astrid