Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Persephone

Persephone

Is this firmly in the guilty pleasure zone or a quirky middle name choice?

Persephone has become a new guilty pleasure of mine. I couldn't see myself using it as a first name because the names I like for first names tend to be more traditional names like Madeleine and Caroline. It doesn't fit with them at all. I have been thinking of adding quirkier names in the middle such as Persephone to spice up the combinations.
    Dany (Also known as Athena Danielle)
    Could you check out these threads? I'll return the favor.
    Link
    Link

Rosemary Gloria ~ Petra Madeleine~ Lilith Seraphine
    Alaric Matthew ~ Henry Marcellus ~ Sebastian Rhys ~ Giles Edmund

I was firmly against Persephone as a real name for a long time. But when I realized it could be an avenue to nn Peri, I changed my tune. That being said, a somewhat unusual middle name when coupled with a traditional first name should always be okay, provided they flow well.
    #1 on the way!
    Why yes, I probably should be working!

Benjamin * Sebastian * Ezra * Edmund * Henry * Hugo * Cormac * Andrew * Winston * Levi * Zev * Theodore

Arabella * Aviva * Ariella * Maeve * Matilda * Eleanor * Catherine * Charlotte * Beatrice

Persephone

It's effortless choice, very classic. She's a lovely name with a lot of class. I can so see Persephone as a great first and middle name but I think I have been influenced by nameberry as this name is flying around everywhere which makes me fall for Persephone even harder and see her as a potential choice rather than a GP. I think she could work a short first name. Like Claire Persephone or Joyce Persephone.

: )

The name itself is pretty, but I wouldn't want my child named after a flimsy goddess who is kidnapped and trapped in the Underworld, married without consent, and powerless to leave until springtime. I have a similar issue; I adore the name Ophelia, but the Shakespearean maiden was exceptionally tragic. Classic names like Madeleine don't have that specific connotation.
    Amedeo Enjolras Aristotle Leonardo Archer Olivier Mischa Liam Caspian Benedict Theodore Fitzwilliam
    Rosalie Evangeline Mirabelle Ophelia Alice Elisabeth Stella Titania Artemis Cicely Margarethe Thalia Astrid

Quote Originally Posted by bibliophile View Post
    The name itself is pretty, but I wouldn't want my child named after a flimsy goddess who is kidnapped and trapped in the Underworld, married without consent, and powerless to leave until springtime. I have a similar issue; I adore the name Ophelia, but the Shakespearean maiden was exceptionally tragic. Classic names like Madeleine don't have that specific connotation.
    This... and the fact that I see phone in the name is why I won't use it up front as a first. That being said it is a pretty name that I think is usable (though strongly associated with the mythological figure), so I won't quite classify it as guilty pleasure. I think middle name is a perfect spot for it.