Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Care-o-line. I would produce Carolyn as care-o-lyn.

Love Caroline!

Cah-ro-line. Like Arrow-line, with a C, a short 'a' as opposed to the long 'a' of Care-oh-line, which I've never heard used. Could be another of the US/UK differences in pronunciation, though.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    Caroline is "line" (as in the Neil Diamond song, "Sweet Caroline", written for President Kennedy's daughter, Caroline Kennedy). The spelling Carolyn was invented to get the "lyn" pronunciation. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would pronounce Caroline with a "lyn".
    Who are you to choose which pronunciation is correct? Who are you to judge what is invented and what is not?

Language is living thing, it can change over time, you can't conserve it like canned tuna.

(kare-uh-line) for Caroline, and (kare-uh-lynn) for Carolyn, when I read them on paper (and when I hear them I match them up that way, too). I know a Caroline who pronounces her name like Carolyn, though, and I never thought anything of it. I like the French (kare-uh-leen) pronunciation best, but I never hear it.
    Damian Joachim-Raphael Benedict-Jude Marius-Charles Dominic

Genevieve Reine-Catalina Lourdes-Madeleine Gracia

Fleur-Carmen-Nouvel-Johanna-Honor-Rafe-William-Arthur-Boden

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress View Post
    Who are you to choose which pronunciation is correct? Who are you to judge what is invented and what is not?

Language is living thing, it can change over time, you can't conserve it like canned tuna.
    Uh, well the general consensus among name nerds is that Carolyn is an invented spelling to get the "lyn" sound ending. Sorry if you don't like it but that's just the way it is. *shrug* Honestly, there isn't any need to get upset over it.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey