Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Has anyone ever been genuinely angry about a baby name?

I recently ran into an old friend. We were chatting for the first time in about two years, and she mentioned she had a daughter, (I don't have Facebook so it's hard to keep up) and named her Jackson, spelled Jaxyn.
    I don't know why, but I got angry. I couldn't pretend to be nice about it.
    I don't know if it was because she felt the need to spell it aloud for me after she stated the name, but I said to her "That's terrible."
    She looked like I'd slapped her, and obviously we won't be reconnecting, but holy cow.
    I usually just roll my eyes at tacky names like that, I don't know what came over me.
    Maybe it was just one terrible name too many, but I couldn't handle it.

I guess my question is, has anyone felt a sudden, unjustifiable anger towards another persons baby name, or am I the only one this has ever happened to? If so, how did you deal with it?

Actually, yes. Its mostly happened to me online though. I came across this other site where you could reply to polls anonymously. Most of the polls on the site I'm sure are fake as 99% of the posters are having baby girls, twin or triplet girls, with hardly a boy name post in sight. Most of the posts included awful trendy, made-up, boys names on girls. After a while I found myself getting inexplicably angry when someone insisted on naming their kid (insert ridiculous or trendy name here) and refused to listen to anyone who advised them against it. I had to stop going to that site because I it was just making more angry and bitter that these poor "kids" were being given these awful names and their parents were to obsessed with being "unique" to see it.

I have experienced it in public. This very arrogant dad came into the Library once with his daughter, Colorado. I honestly wanted to punch this guy because he obviously did this to his little girl to be "funny". I just acted very civil towards him but I didn't act friendly or give him a reaction at all. I would probably do the same in a situation like yours. The initial shock might show on my face but I wouldn't give her a straight out response. I kind of brush past it and rage about it in my head.

But what I'm most worried about is when my friends and young relatives start having kids. I know some of them have very "trendy" and "unusual" taste in names. I'm worried about my reaction when they announce their baby's name to me. The baby's not born yet, so in my mind there is still hope but I don't want to hurt their feelings by telling them that their name is awful. But I can't not say anything. I'm a name nerd for goodness sake!
    Violet Gray
    Sad name-obsessed teenager and aspiring writer

Current Name Loves: Jack, Oliver, Leo & Finn <3

Not really.

I got pissed off once when I came across a father who had purposefully named his two daughters so that their names sounded dirty. I didn't say anything but I feel my anger was justified.
    Tallulah, Persephone, Eris, Saskia, Natasha, Zhanna, Matthias, Andreas, Dean, Isaac, Jude, Christopher, Caleb, Victor, Fabian, Skyler, Dexter, Cecily, Alannah, Savannah, Hester, Britta, Xanthe, Temperence, Violetta, Anton, Anatoly, Maksym, Ilya, Raphael, Gabriel, Xanthe, Carmen, Electra, Dahlia.

Quote Originally Posted by violetgray View Post
    Actually, yes. Its mostly happened to me online though. I came across this other site where you could reply to polls anonymously. Most of the polls on the site I'm sure are fake as 99% of the posters are having baby girls, twin or triplet girls, with hardly a boy name post in sight. Most of the posts included awful trendy, made-up, boys names on girls. After a while I found myself getting inexplicably angry when someone insisted on naming their kid (insert ridiculous or trendy name here) and refused to listen to anyone who advised them against it. I had to stop going to that site because I it was just making more angry and bitter that these poor "kids" were being given these awful names and their parents were to obsessed with being "unique" to see it.

But what I'm most worried about is when my friends and young relatives start having kids. I know some of them have very "trendy" and "unusual" taste in names. I'm worried about my reaction when they announce their baby's name to me. The baby's not born yet, so in my mind there is still hope but I don't want to hurt their feelings by telling them that their name is awful. But I can't not say anything. I'm a name nerd for goodness sake!
    I know that website. It's hilarious and terrifying.

I've seen enough family relationships go to hell over babies names to know it's best not to get involved and love the baby anyway. Seriously, the kid'll still be cute whether they call it Kaiylya or Catherine, and if they put the energy into thinking about and deciding they like that name, you can only respect their decision.

Unless it's really bad. Like 'that's offensive' or 'do you not hear the rude word in that name' bad.
    Tallulah, Persephone, Eris, Saskia, Natasha, Zhanna, Matthias, Andreas, Dean, Isaac, Jude, Christopher, Caleb, Victor, Fabian, Skyler, Dexter, Cecily, Alannah, Savannah, Hester, Britta, Xanthe, Temperence, Violetta, Anton, Anatoly, Maksym, Ilya, Raphael, Gabriel, Xanthe, Carmen, Electra, Dahlia.

Honestly, yes.

We go once a week to a reading hour for babies and toddlers at the local library where they act out the book they are reading for the kids. I tend not to talk with a lot of the other parents there because I feel it is more about family time than anything to me. Occasionally though, Juniper will get really attached and will play with a few of the other kids around her age. This usually leads to my husband and I talking to their parents. Usually, the kids have pretty popular names or names I find darling (Ruby, Linus, etc.), so I don't blink an eye (obviously little Ruby could be Ruebee and Linus could be Lyenuss for all I know). But there was one time in particular that I lost my cool. Juniper was playing with these twin 3 year olds, a boy and a girl. The parents started telling the kids it was time to leave, but they wouldn't listen. The mom started shouting their name "Hennessy Dream! Cherokee Ahmad!". After my jaw hit the floor, I was filled with anger. THE WOMAN NAMED HER KIDS AFTER ALCOHOL AND A NATIVE AMERICAN NATION (she wasn't Native American) for Jeebus' sake. I usually can just walk away and keep my thoughts to myself, but I looked at her and said, "Why would you do that to your children? That's awful. Seriously? Alcohol!?" My husband had to pull me away. I just felt the names were insulting to either the children themselves or a whole nation of people. It wasn't funny or cute, in my opinion, to do that to a child. I know I have some weirder name tastes, but I wouldn't set my child's name up to be insulting. Hennessy Dream? Did you drink peyote laced cognac? To be fair, I feel the same way about Cherokee that I do Lakota and Dakota (to a lesser extent) and I met a child named Cree once that made me want to smack the parents.
    Last edited by nymphalis antiopa; October 18th, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
    Mommy of Juniper Teagan & Pyrus Nikolai

Catkin Guinevere, Celandine Ceridwen, Heliotrope Isolde, Nettle Chiyo, Hebe Dilwen, Foxglove Amabel, Chicory Tallulah, Pennyroyal Matilda, Wedelia Imogen, Mallow Araminta, Dandelion Jane
    Senna Lazarus, Bramble Gideon, Comfrey Azrael, Thistle Dorian, Huckleberry Iver, Larkspur Saul, Bear Cornelius, Yarrow Barnaby, Sol Aurelius, Hawthorn Otis, Centaury Eben

Non-Nature Loves: Hestia & Bartleby
    http://bloominggardenofnames.blogspot.com/[