Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    I just remembered something else that makes me totally enraged: When parents change their adopted child's name (UGH) to something horribly trendy/misspelled (UGH!!). There's no good reason to ever strip a child of the only thing that connects them to their heritage unless their safety is in danger, and to do so with the excuse of making their life "easier" (when the name you're foisting on them has some ridiculous kree8iv spelling that they'll have to correct people on for the rest of their lives) or giving them a connection to their new family (yes, I'm sure that being one Brayden out of ten in their kindergarten class is going to give them a real unique sense of belonging) is beyond infuriating.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Augusta, I don't personally know anyone who's adopted but from what I've heard some [older] adopted children want to change their names. Especially if their birth name is too hard to spell or pronounce, or would otherwise cause embarrassment, in the place they will be living in. Some of these children, if old enough, are offered options and perhaps like what Berries would consider "kree8tiv". Now, I see your point and I don't like most of them either, but I think your wording is a bit too general and it sounds like you're being unfair.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

There's a huge difference between children choosing to change their name (though I would still question how much parental approval might influence them, consciously or not) and having that change forced on them by their parents. I spoke too generally, you're right. However, I have to wonder how often the first scenario happens, and how genuine the desire for a name change actually is. Unfortunately the second situation is far more common.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

A friend of mine in high school had cousins named Nova Scotia and Stormy Thunder. If I remember correctly, she said Nova Scotia just went by Scotia, and the other by Stormy. While these are not as awful as some of the names being discussed here, I just felt horrible for these girls. Not mad necessarily, but annoyed and sympathetic.
    If you have an interest in geography or weather, great! Buy a book about it. Don't burden your child with something like that for the rest of their lives.

I often think people forget when they are picking out names that it is a huge responsibility.

I've never been angry to the point of saying something. I fall into the "scornful/amazed/extremely amused" camp when it comes to terrible names. I think I would have had your reaction to little Jaxsyn in my head...I agree that the fact that she felt she had to spell it for you to emphasize the "uniqueness" was probably really grating and in the right mood, well, you never know what's going to slip out. In general though I come up with a neutral statement to turn to in these situations.
    Some less than stellar names of children under 3 in my circle of acquaintances include Graedon, Paitlin, Tynsly, and Parker (on a girl, which isn't "Whoah", but it does make me feel that an opportunity was lost).