Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    I'm on the receiving end of this from my mother, she banned me from even considering Paisley as name (she sews so she could never get over the association to the horrific -her words- fabric) and also with Delilah (I come from a Catholic family and though some of us are non practicing they would never let me live it down). So I understand completely what you are saying and the rage associated with it. I may be angry when you tell me it, but I can listen to advice and I don't hold grudges and I won't want to do anything horrific to my child as they will be the one wearing the name.

Quote Originally Posted by giinkies View Post
    I'm on the receiving end of this from my mother, she banned me from even considering Paisley as name (she sews so she could never get over the association to the horrific -her words- fabric) and also with Delilah (I come from a Catholic family and though some of us are non practicing they would never let me live it down). So I understand completely what you are saying and the rage associated with it. I may be angry when you tell me it, but I can listen to advice and I don't hold grudges and I won't want to do anything horrific to my child as they will be the one wearing the name.
    Paisley and Delilah are hippie names! Go hippies! Giinkies, what middle names were you considering to go with those two?

To answer the question in the OP: No, I have never been "genuinely angry" about a baby name. Unusual names tend more to amuse or astonish me.

-- Nephele

I've never been angry, to be honest I've never come across a truly horrible name, and I used to work in daycare. I knew a Nevaeh but honestly the name sounds lovely and it suited her, I just ignored the heaven spelled backward thing. I don't think it's someone else place to say negative things (except if it's actually an obscenity) or unless you're a close friend or family member/the partner. There is a name that annoys me purely because of how it's spelled, but it an otherwise great name. The mum was in her late teens when she named her so I think it annoys me that she's reinforcing the "stereotype" that exists around young mums.

Quote Originally Posted by nephele View Post
    Paisley and Delilah are hippie names! Go hippies! Giinkies, what middle names were you considering to go with those two?

To answer the question in the OP: No, I have never been "genuinely angry" about a baby name. Unusual names tend more to amuse or astonish me.

-- Nephele
    Hey Nephele,
    Yes go Hippies! I never reached the point of considering middles for these names as I put them in the guilty pleasure zone, they are gorgeous names but they are not for me. I have so many other names I like that I can cope with cutting loose these two and I also like that now I get to be more creative and find more unusual "hippie names" without the strong associations.

In general, I think people should be allowed to name their children whatever. Exceptions mostly being when it's offensive or not even a name. I hate when people name their children random words- there are some words I wish were usable as names, but would put them in the middle if anything!

I did get really angry at the couple in the news who named their child Messiah though.

My sister messaged me on Facebook and told me she made a (female) friend named Sean- at first I thought it was a boy but when she told me it was a girl named Sean I wanted to smash my computer. I had to step away from it.

And there were some good ones when I volunteered at my aunt's office- she works for an optometrist. I was putting files away and there was someone named Froggy. There was another person named Honera Honera (or something like that, can't remember spelling). As in, her first name was the same as her last name. Why on earth would someone do that to their child?! I started ranting about it to my aunt (no patients were watching) and she just looked at me like I was crazy.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy