Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Portia? And other suggestions?

What do you think of Portia? I worry about the car and the meaning (pig, right?) But otherwise find the name very charming, a little different, but still recognizable.

Also any other suggestions? I mentioned liking Plum, I also adore Petal and Bijou. Anything similar you think I may like?

I have to say I think Petal is a beautiful name. I have to be honest and I am sorry but Bijou just reminds me of the Phillips sister that is always in trouble or isn't there a dog breed name Bijou?? Plum is on my top 2 names for a girl. We have been using Plum for about a month now as a way of calling our bundle of joy inside of me. I think it is unique. Hope about Padma, Payson, Portia mean a gift offering in Latin. I think that would be a beautiful name for a little girl. Go with your heart. See what your baby looks like. It will all come together in time!! Good Luck. If you want any more suggestions or help I would be happy to put my two cents in for all it is worth!!

What about Petra? similarities to Portia but with fewer hang ups.

Or Prisca? classically a nn for Priscilla but it could work on it's own.

If you like Bijou, maybe Plaire?
    Livy/Lucy : Geneva/Gwen : Coralie/Alice : Noelle/Eve
    Eli/Bennett : Jude/Zane: Luke/Leo : Levi/Phineas

I love Portia- it's beautiful, elegant, and feminine, but strong and grounded and not frilly at all. Portia in The Merchant of Venice is one of my favourite characters. It's recognizable but very rare. Where I live the car would be por-shuh and Portia would be por-shah- similar but different enough to tell the two apart. Lots of beautiful names have odd meanings- I personally don't care, it would rule out too many names I loved!

Portia's very different from Petal, Plum and Bijou so I'll give you suggestions for both:

Miranda
    Vespertine
    Melisande
    Aurelia
    Theodocia
    Theodora
    Lysistrata
    Helena
    Augusta
    Philomena
    Cordelia
    Acantha
    Felicity
    Lucretia/Lucrezia
    Federica

Lark
    Lake/Laken
    Tulip
    Avalon
    Suvi
    Isla
    Zinnia
    Maeve
    Anais
    Palma
    Amoret
    Elowen
    Freya
    Lyra
    Laurel
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Victoria, Diana, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy... don't love many boys' names!

Portia is a good, solid choice.

More names you might like:

Astrid, Bronwyn, Charis, Cleo, Esme, Maris, Oona, Paloma, Phaedra, Salome, Sapphira, Sarai, Sephora, Sidony, Viva, Xanthe, Zora
    Archibald | Barnabas | Bartholomew | Ephraim | Hezekiah | Jonah | Noble | Obadiah | Silas | Zebulon

C o l o n i a l | N a m e s

Bathsheba | Cornelia | Esther | Felicity | Hephzibah | Lydia | Mehetabel | Priscilla | Prudence | Sapphira