Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Miles/Myles/Milo - how popular is Miles, really?

I'm due on November 1st (or any minute now really...). Our top boy name is Miles, but I've started worrying that it might be too trendy given that not only is Miles growing in popularity, but also Myles and Milo.

So... is Miles/Myles/Milo too trendy or popular?

Does anyone know how to figure out what the true ranking is if you combine Miles, Myles, and Milo?
    Favorite Girls' Names: Amalie, Cecily, Cordelia, Esther, Felicity, Iris, Lucinda, Miranda, Tessa

Favorite Boys' Names: Dean, Gideon, Jasper, Miles, Theodore.

Babies: Annika Vivian (born 11/2013), Baby #2 expected April, 2015!

I don't think it's too popular. The only Miles I know is almost 20, so that doesn't even count. It's a handsome name. Milo is handsome and fun and bouncy.

As for popularity combining spellings:

Country wide -- Miles (#111) had 3,229 births, Myles (#222) had 1,608 births, and Milo (#330) had 946 births. A total of 5,783 which isn't too bad.

In your state -- None of those names rank in the top 100 in your state.

So no, I don't think any of them are too popular or to trendy.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Quote Originally Posted by dantea View Post
    I don't think it's too popular. The only Miles I know is almost 20, so that doesn't even count. It's a handsome name. Milo is handsome and fun and bouncy.

As for popularity combining spellings:

Country wide -- Miles (#111) had 3,229 births, Myles (#222) had 1,608 births, and Milo (#330) had 946 births. A total of 5,783 which isn't too bad.

In your state -- None of those names rank in the top 100 in your state.

So no, I don't think any of them are too popular or to trendy.

Thank you so much for the analysis! And looking into the popularity in Tennessee... brilliant! I'm not sure where to do that. I'm name-crazy enough I should know these things by now. I appreciate the help.
    Favorite Girls' Names: Amalie, Cecily, Cordelia, Esther, Felicity, Iris, Lucinda, Miranda, Tessa

You can go to ssa.gov and search for popular baby names. There's a place where you can select your state for popularity rankings.

Miles is one of my top names. I knew two Miles - 1 in high school and 1 in college (I'm 30.). I was really starting to fall in love with Miles/Milo but my two year old daughter's new "best friend" is a Miles! So now I'm not sure what to do...

But honestly, I think that's a total coincidence and does not reflect true popularity of the name. I still don't think it's very popular. I say go for it.
    Mom to Nora.

Current favorites:
    Declan (Decs/Dex). Miles (Milo). Dean. Euan. Ronan. Dexter (Dex). John (Johnny). Max. Griffin/Finn. Reid.

Gwyneth (Gwen). Elise. Bronwen (Bonnie). Mary. Piper. Josephine (Josie). Iris. Margot. Sylvie. Edith (Edie).

Quote Originally Posted by sllah View Post
    You can go to ssa.gov and search for popular baby names. There's a place where you can select your state for popularity rankings.

Miles is one of my top names. I knew two Miles - 1 in high school and 1 in college (I'm 30.). I was really starting to fall in love with Miles/Milo but my two year old daughter's new "best friend" is a Miles! So now I'm not sure what to do...

But honestly, I think that's a total coincidence and does not reflect true popularity of the name. I still don't think it's very popular. I say go for it.

Thanks for your feedback! I'm feeling much more positive about it with the comments here.

I see we have similar tastes! Dean is actually my #2 name, and I love Evan (close to Ewan...).

For girls, I also love Margot (must have the t!), Carys, Maeve, and Greta, though unfortunately my husband has vetoed all of them. He likes Elise, which I see is also in your list! But alas, I cannot come around to it.