Names Searched Right Now:

I need help with gifts!

Hi everyone! This is going to be a long post, so I apologize. In a couple weeks, my boyfriend and I will celebrate being together for one year. Our plan is to go into the city (Philadelphia), check out some museums and go to dinner in a nice area. We got a decently nice hotel room, so to counter the cost we put a $50 price cap on any gifts.

My boyfriend is very hard to shop for, and I am just awful at buying gifts. I know what he likes, but when it comes time to applying those things to gifts, I blank. For his birthday, I bought him some nice work shirts, and a donation to WWF for his favorite animal. I was proud of that, but I do not know where to go now.

Since I am so helpless, I could really use some assistance.

Movies: My boyfriend loves movies, but I do not want to do the sort of clichéd movie basket with popcorn and candy. When he gets strapped for cash, he also tends to sell DVDs first, so I refuse to buy DVDs for him.

Working out: Erich is very active and works out 5-6 times a week. For Valentines Day I got him a runners kit with anti-chafing gel, reflectors, shoe deodorizers, etc. I looked at North Face duffel bags, but they are $150+

Food, but not cooking: He loves eating. I would make a dinner but I always cook, and I want it to be special. For Christmas, I am planning to buy him an ice cream maker.

Does not like:

Every traditional gift idea. He does not like wearing watches, or cologne, or concerts. There was one comedian Erich said he would want to see, but unfortunately, the local shows have very bad timing.

I know there are many creative people here, and if they have the patience to read all of that, I know I can get some great ideas. Puh-puh-puh-lease help me. Thank you!
    Last edited by birdies; October 16th, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
    xx - Georgia Lynne - Gwendolen June - Catherine Zinnia - Sally
    xy - Jeffrey Erich - Regan James - Arthur Heron -
    Feather/Fur Mom to Cormoran, Poe, Agatha Penelope, and Allister Horace

Is there a specific movie that he likes? Maybe you could get him a poster or some kitschy movie thing that he wouldn't want to sell? Or you could always just get him something silly if he has a sense of humor. Modcloth has some fun things, but they can be a little overpriced... There's also a gift finder on gifts.com where you can do a personality test to find things that fit his personality! Good luck! I know you'll find something perfect!

Most men I know are into video games- maybe a new game system or some games he's been wanting? And software/computer stuff, maybe something for his computer? If he's into movies does he have a really sophisticated setup- what about accessories for the TV, e.g. 3D stuff, surround sound speakers, etc.? (Sorry, I don't actually buy this kind of stuff so no idea if it's within budget)

Does he already have a gym membership? If not you might be able to find one for him within your budget. Or workout equipment?

Is there a specific place he's always wanted to go to? If he's a foodie maybe a dinner at a really nice restaurant you wouldn't normally go to. Liquor can be a good gift too, but can't suggest anything there- I don't drink alcohol and i'm not old enough to do so legally where I live.

I know a lot of people are against this, but personally I love getting gift cards to stores I frequent or simply being asked what i want. That way he's sure to enjoy it.

Good luck gift-hunting!
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

Thanks for the suggestions. I let myself get so worked up over a gift for ANYONE, but he is so good at buying gifts that I really feel the pressure.
    xx - Georgia Lynne - Gwendolen June - Catherine Zinnia - Sally
    xy - Jeffrey Erich - Regan James - Arthur Heron -
    Feather/Fur Mom to Cormoran, Poe, Agatha Penelope, and Allister Horace