Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

those word names.......

Sometimes I LOVE word names, sometimes I argue with myself there are enough lovely names to choose from without using words.
    Then I remember all the flower names. I think it is safe to say I approve of all the botanics.
    I also like most of the season, month and day names.
    I'm not sure about some of the occupation names. I like Archer. Hunter is cool but what if Hunter grows up to be a vegetarian? I cannot get my head around Sailor.
    What are others thoughts?
    *Penelope*Pearl*Estella*Marisol*Golda*Martha*
    *Lilac*Daphne*Silvie*Autumn*

Silas*Henry*Arthur*Gabriel*Eli*Patrick*Frederick
    *Heath*Gilbert*Jonah*Leo

I adore occupational names, it's a guilty pleasure of mine! Archer is my absolute favorite. Baxter, Fisher, Mercer, Sayer, Keifer, Fletcher, Walker, Jagger, Miller, Bishop for boys and Sailor for girls. I love them so much!

I like most flower names. I don't even think about them as of word names, to be honest.

As for other word names, for me it depends. I like some a lot, but really dislike others. The ones I like include Arrow, Oak, River, Bear, Phoenix, Finch and Wilder for boys and Clementine, Juniper, Olive, Aria (again, I don't think of these four as of word names), Halcyon and Ever for girls.

I tend to dislike virtue names.
    polina
    eighteen
    french/russian/swedish
    living in st. petersburg, russia
    university sophomore

clementine ・ jemima ・ harriet ・ mabel
    felix ・ sebastian ・ milo ・ oliver

Because meanings are so important to me I have an instant affinity for word names. They convey a picture very clearly. When we hear Daphne we might have 10 different ideas about what it means to us. At least until we actually look up the meaning. But Violet? Well... it's right there! You might have other connotations in addition to it's meaning but it's hard not to picture the delicate flower first.

The way I see it:

YES
    Rose, Violet, Daisy etc
    April, May, June, August
    Harmony, Melody, Aria etc
    Coral
    Marina

ACCEPTABLE
    Grace, Temperance, Hope etc
    Skye

NO
    Destiny
    Archer, Fletcher, Milkman, Farmer etc
    King, Queen, Duke, Bishop etc
    Rainy, Stormy, Cloud etc
    Oak, Elm, Forest, Bush etc
    Arrow, Cannon, Rocket-Launcher etc
    Bear, Goose, Rabbit, Hyena etc
    Blue, Brown, Mauve, Teal etc

For me, it seems that most of the time if the word can also be a verb e.g 'to arch' 'to rain' then I can't see it as a name. I also disapprove of titles as names. Names which also happen to be words are ok, like Marina and Aria.

Surnames, to me, denote that a person belongs to a specific group. Say my name was Augusta Baker. When saying it out loud what I mean is that I'm...

'Augusta of the Baker group'.

This tells you which person I am in the wider family unit. If, by contrast, someone announced themselves as Fletcher Baker (using an occupational surname in place of a first name) I find that the combination jars in my brain and instead of hearing...

'Fletcher of the Baker group'

...I hear...

'the Fletcher in the Baker group'

...which leaves me wanting to ask, 'Right... but what's your name?'

It's a hard feeling to put into words and I'm not sure I've done it justice. Basically, in terms of occupational surnames, if they end up sounding like a double barrelled surname then I don't recommend it.
    Last edited by renrose; January 29th, 2014 at 06:39 AM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

I think history has to come into it: Felicity has a thousand year history as a name and a word, she's not starting from scratch explaining it every time. Tiger, Duck, Painter, Italy and Table don't have any familiarity as baby names but do have very clear and widely recognised meanings from other contexts. As a rule of thumb I'd say you need to ask yourself: 'is it immediately clear when yelling the name in a park that you aren't summoning an ironically named pet? When introducing yourself is it obvious that you are not an 19th century prep school boy introducing yourself by your surname rather than your Christian name?'
    Thrilled to be mother to @gnes Ei1ish Madeline and Fe1icity Bridget Be@trice

If we'd had boys the list was: Godfrey, Seamus, Alexander, Michael, Felix, Peter, Ignatius & Sebastian.