Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by essjay View Post
    Other compromises: Madeleine - he likes Madison, both use the same nn Maddy, but Madeleine/Madelyn is more classic in your style.
    Madeline was my first thought as well. Along with Michaela.
    Or something like Charlotte with trendy nn Charlie.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

Spunky-sounding old-fashioned names:

Hattie
    Etta
    Elsie
    Josie
    Tamsin

Classic-sounding surname names:

Anson
    Llewelyn
    Darcy

Good luck!
    New momma to twin boys!

Arlo Sebastian & Ezra Valentine
    Born 1/1/2014

I spoke to him and he doesn't want to do a long name with a boyish nickname - he said it's not the fact that those names are boyish that is why he likes them, it's that they're short and suitable for a 21st century girl, rather than names that have been lifted out of a Victorian era novel. Problem is, I prefer names that have got a bit of history to them and would work for someone at any age, plus a few of my options honour family, like Harriet, Raphaela and Martha, but he says that those names should stick to the previous generation.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not sure how well they will work for us - I think we need to look for something short and snappy like his names yet ones that still have history of use. I'm happy to use a shorter classic like Grace (except not Grace, as it's already in use within our family) even though I prefer longer names with multiple nickname options, just as long as it isn't something that's a modern invention as a first name.

I do like the suggestion of Tamsin though, I think it's got the sort of short and not overly frilly vibe that he likes but it is a well-established name with historical use - I think I need to find more names like that. My only reservation with it is that I don't like the nickname Tammy, as it reminds me of a horrible girl I went to school with.

And if it helps, our boy name is Grant David (my maiden name + a family tradition in his family of the middle name David) which we came up with after not too much discussion. We'd use it for our first son regardless of where in the birth order he comes, so we'd like a girl name to work somewhat with that.
    Last edited by gemmington1; October 18th, 2013 at 09:44 AM.

I don't think that Tamsin would have to be Tammy - they're the same number of syllables, so it's not as if people would default to Tammy in an attempt to shorten Tamsin.

Imogen
    Haidee
    Eleni / Eleri
    Honor
    Elodie
    Phoebe
    Ivy
    Mattea
    Bronwen
    Maren
    Merit (Could be a nod to Merit-Ptah, the ancient Egyptian female physician. Also an established female name as a Scandinavian form of Margaret, but it might fit in with what your husband likes.)
    Margo / Margot
    Alison
    Marnie
    Sylvie
    Vera

I like Tamsin too, but dread Tammy. The name I moved to was Teagan which is already on your hubby's list. Do you like it at all? I like it a lot and it works well as a sister to Grant imo. Other ideas that he might go for but still have some of the style you like (I'm going for short & snappy, not overtly vintage but with a history of use):
    Brenna
    Audrey
    Lila
    Fallon
    Anna
    Ellis
    Maeve
    Marin
    Laura

Not sure I hit the right notes here but it seems like there will be a middle ground