Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Grandma's name sounds like sliced veggies

This may never be a real-life dilemma for us, but here goes. If we ever have another daughter, I would like to honor my grandma Julienne by using her name as a middle (which everyone pronounces "Ju-leen"; she is a twin to sister Jeanine and they are of the rhyming twin names era). She's an awesome, fun lady and I am lucky to have her in my life. We almost named our 6-year-old Elise Julienne, but chickened out in favor of Elise Marie (I've always loved Marie, but it honors nobody I know).

The combo I'm into at the moment is Audrey Julienne.

I'm not a big fan of changing the spelling (Juline, etc.), since I do want to honor her and am afraid she'd be a little sad at the implication that anything is "wrong" with her name. But I have to admit I am a little apprehensive of Julienne as a middle, since people might say, "like the way you cut up potatoes/carrots/veggies into strips?" when they see the birth announcement or her name in writing elsewhere.

I also like Audrey Julia, but it wouldn't be nearly as meaningful, in my opinion.

Can someone please talk me into Audrey Julienne? Or, as applicable, please tell me it's a bad idea?

Thanks.
    Mom to James Daniel (10) William Joseph (8), Elise Marie (7), and Zachary Allan (1)
    http://letterstoauntkay.blogspot.com/

TTC #5
    Serena (Seri), Amy, Diana, Kate, Adele, Georgia, Audrey, Lucy, Linnea, Clara
    Thomas, Henry, Orin, Arthur, Samuel

DH's "approved" list:
    Seri, Amy, Diana, Lucy, Kate/Katie/Katherine, Audrey
    Thomas, Martin ("maybe")

I'd be happy to talk you into Audrey Julienne! Firstly, Audrey is a beautiful name and one of my favourites (as you can tell from my signature). I think Julienne matches well with Audrey. Will you be pronouncing the name "Ju-leen"? Because I think the method of cutting vegetables is pronounced "Ju-lee-enn". So, if you introduce her as Audrey "Ju-leen", people won't as readily make that connection. However, cutting vegetables certainly wasn't my first thought when I heard the name and, as it's your grandmother's name, I think Audrey Julienne makes for a lovely combination
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

I would consider changing the spelling. I know you said you didn't want to do that, but I think its the sound of the name that counts, not the spelling. Hayley is Hailey is Haylee when said aloud.
    And I would be open about it. Tell her you wanted people to be able to pronounce it correctly when seeing it spelled out or whatever. Names should usually be spelled the way they sound, imo.
    Now, if you just can't do that- really, who cares about other peoples' opinion on the middle name? Saying its a family name will explain it.
    Forty-something mom to three teenage girls and an eleven-year-old boy
    Foster mom to two sweet sisters born Aug 2011 and Sept 2012 and another wee girl born Aug 2013

Ah, thank you, sarahmezz! Also, congratulations on expecting your first! How exciting...
    Mom to James Daniel (10) William Joseph (8), Elise Marie (7), and Zachary Allan (1)
    http://letterstoauntkay.blogspot.com/

TTC #5
    Serena (Seri), Amy, Diana, Kate, Adele, Georgia, Audrey, Lucy, Linnea, Clara
    Thomas, Henry, Orin, Arthur, Samuel

DH's "approved" list:
    Seri, Amy, Diana, Lucy, Kate/Katie/Katherine, Audrey
    Thomas, Martin ("maybe")

Oh, and I definitely vote for Audrey ju-leen, whatever way you spell it.
    Forty-something mom to three teenage girls and an eleven-year-old boy
    Foster mom to two sweet sisters born Aug 2011 and Sept 2012 and another wee girl born Aug 2013