Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help me fall in (or out of) love with something!

Anything, really... boys' names have always been ridiculously hard for me. I don't even have a proper top 5, just a top 2. August and Barnaby are my only constant favorites, with Henry sort of lurking in the background (but his popularity turns me off. Might make a middle out of him, as it's a family surname).

August and Barnaby both embody what I'm really looking for in a boy's name. They're both (in my opinion) decidedly masculine, but not in-your-face macho in that Breaker/Gunnar/Butch way. They have a softer, more lyrical quality, and I could picture either on an artist, a judge, a doctor, or a musician. If I have my way, my sons will grow up surrounded by arts, crafts, nature, animals, and music. They'd be the type to bring home strays rather than chase them away with sticks. I could just as easily see any boy of mine knitting and building birdhouses as I could roughhousing and playing in the mud. If they looked like me and my SO they'd end up with light brown or brownish-red wavy hair and blue or green eyes with long lashes, bow lips and straight noses. My SO is long-haired so there's a chance they'd go for that as well of course I'm just imagining at this point.

Getting to the point... I used nymbler for some inspiration and these names caught my eye. I have some concerns about some of them so I'd love brutally honest opinions (not about August or Barnaby though please, those are set) and any suggestions if you have them. Every name is welcome except William - please, please do not suggest William. It's out for reasons I don't want to get into.

Without further ado, what do you think of:
    Ulysses - OTT? Maybe a middle?
    Clement - I also like Clemence/Clemens, but worry about whether it's too harsh sounding. Clement looks like 'cement' to me, anyone else?
    Harmon
    Dexter
    Bayard
    Harvey
    Tobin
    Luther - SO's surname is "Belts", some commented it might sound like "Looser Belts" with a lisp, or "Leather Belts"?
    Prosper
    Winston
    Whistler - a current GP that might make a push for my real list.
    Shepherd

TIA!
    "I have found the one whom my soul loves"
    k ♥ m

Guinevere · Vivian · Florence · Lilleba · Beatrix
    August · Barnaby · Roland · Lester · Whitney

I don't think Ulysses is OTT, it would make a great fn or mn. I like most of the names on your list, with the exception of Prosper... it's just a bit too Puritan-sounding for my taste.

Some ideas:
    Bernard
    Darby
    Ralston
    Dagan
    Danior
    Dedric
    Tristan
    Urson

I don't know what OTT means but most of your names are too out there for me. I love Henry and I also like Shepard. Dexter is a good name too I'm just not a fan.
    Boys
    Spencer|Benjamin|Henry|Declan|Rhys|Grayson|Peter|Q uinn

Girls
    Laura|Charlotte|Caroline|Savannah|Nora|Natalie|Hel ena

Guilty Pleasures
    River|Sawyer|Moss|Barrett|Sky|Archer

August & Barnaby are great names!!!

Although very match-y with Barnaby, I thought you might like Willoughby. He's all bad-boy for me thanks to Fanney Burney and Jane Austen, but it sounds so dashing and happy go lucky.

Also matching, Rigsby.
    How about Ludwig or Ludovic nn Ludo?

Keepers!! For me, these embody the vision you described of your future sons:
    Shepherd
    Ulysses
    Harmon*
    Bayard
    Winston

Meh because of the following associations/reasons:
    Clement = cement, very harsh sound
    Dexter = serial killer also killed this name for me
    Harvey = Old West saloon bartender
    Tobin = seems incomplete
    Luther = due to the last name situation, otherwise it is awesome!
    Prosper = Prospero from the Tempest
    Whistler = Andy Griffith Show & Flo Rida song about blow jobs...
    Last edited by ruolan; October 15th, 2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: left one of the reasons blank!
    若兰

I'm just a third-culture girl with an affinity for names.

In loving memory of Margot

August and Barnaby are good ones! I actually met a little Barnaby a little while ago and he's so cute and sweet I really like this name now.

Ulysses - I don't think it's OTT, it's my newest addition to my short list of boys names. I think it's wonderful, windy and nautical.
    Clement - I don't see cement, nor do I find it hard sounding. It reminds me of brass instruments for some reason.
    Harmon - Not bad, I quite like it.
    Dexter - I do love an x here and there, but this name is very hard and rough.
    Bayard - LOVE! A magical horse and a good knight, what's not to love?
    Harvey - I actually like Harvey, it's got a certain retro charm and swagger.
    Tobin - Tobin's very cute and charming.
    Luther - I don't think it's an issue. Luther's got such a nice sound and looks very pretty written out. And it's got namesakes.
    Prosper - This is fine, but I prefer Italian Prospero. Prosper sounds very preppy, Prospero's storms and oceans.
    Winston - Love! Winston's very cool, it used to be on my list.
    Whistler - The only one I'm saying a definite NO to.
    Shepherd - I like Shepherd, if you're going to go for a profession name, this is the one to choose.

Suggestions:
    Alonso
    Ambrose
    Andreas
    Archer
    Ariston
    Arlo
    Basil
    Bastian
    Baxter
    Benedict
    Bernard
    Bertram
    Bowen
    Bowman
    Brennon
    Cadmus
    Callow
    Cassian
    Cedric
    Chandler
    Conroy
    Cosmo
    Crispin
    Desmond
    Douglas
    Drake
    Edmund
    Evander
    Everett
    Fabian
    Faulkner
    Felix
    Ferdinand
    Finnegan
    Fraser
    Gareth
    Gawain
    Geoffrey
    Gilbert
    Gordon
    Griffin
    Hamish
    Harper
    Horatio
    Jarvis
    Jasper
    Julian
    Lachlan
    Leander
    Lennox
    Leonard
    Lester
    Lorcan
    Marius
    Maxim
    Neville
    Philip
    Roland
    Roman
    Rupert
    Russell
    Scott
    Sebastian
    Shearer
    Stellan
    Sumner
    Uther
    Vernon
    Xavier
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]