Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lanti?

Lanti?

A year or so ago, I made a post about using Rylant as a name and received the lovely suggestion of Lanti as a nickname idea. I ended up deciding against putting Rylant on my list, but I have really fallen in love with the sweet sound of Lanti. So, my questions are:
    Is Lanti usable as a name on its own? Is it substantial enough? Is it silly? I saw somewhere that it is a Finnish boys name. In your mind, does that make it more plausible as a full name for a girl or more problematic (or maybe neither?)?
    What names could Lanti be a nickname for?

EDIT: I should note that I am pronouncing this lahn-tee not lan-tee (as in land or lamp).

I am looking forward to all the wonderful Berry creativity!
    Thank you!
    Last edited by sunshine.10; October 15th, 2013 at 03:00 PM.
    Not expecting, just planning and building lists!

I feel like this name might not get a lot of Nameberry love. I know from experience as when I asked about our adopted daughters already given name I got some pretty awful feedback. People will say- it doesn't sound like a whole name, it sounds made up etc. etc. Anything outside of French names seems to get this response. I think it's got a nice sound, it looks/feels Indian to me. Probably best as a nn for something like Alana Therese nn Lanti.
    *Magnolia Alice/ Evangeline Clover/ Adelaide Clover/ Athena Violet/
    Liliana Wren/ Georgiana Snow/ Eugenie Marigold/Ottilie Amina*

*Osias Grey/August Grey/Thatcher Fox/ Ignatius Grey/Hawthorne Flynn/
    Jasper August/ *

I'm sorry, my first instinct was "Mylanta" because it looks like Lan-tee and not Lahn-Tee. Lahnti is more phonetic to me, and I do like the sound of the name, I think it's very pretty, but I could just forsee a lot of pronunciation issues.

Why did you take Rylant off the list? I'm not a fan of the "T" on the end, so what about Rylan? You could still use Lanti as a NN. And I agree with googkarmavt, Alana would probably work. I don't even think you need the Therese if you don't want. Lanti isn't much of a stretch from Alana.

I think it has a lovely sound. I would like it better as a nickname for a longer name, as that's my style, but there's no reason it couldn't be a full name.

How about:

Atalanta
    Alantra
    Calantha
    Eglantina
    Eglantine
    Iolanthe
    Lantana
    Lantha
    Melantha
    Zalanta
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

@goodkarmavt: Haha, yeah, I guess the name isn't exactly Nameberry style. Ah well. By the way, is your daughter's name pronounced like Senna? That is a good idea to incorporate the middle name as part of the reason for the nickname.

@tarynamber: Yes, I see how it could have pronunciation problems. Hm...well I suppose that is one of the reasons I prefer it as a nickname. I just can't seem to find a full name that makes sense for it.
    I took Rylant off the list because it sounds too close to "violent" and because one of its major advantages was the nn Ry, but I discovered that I much prefer Sarai nn Rai.
    Oh, you are right about how Lanti could be a nn for Alana. Adding the "ti" at the end could just be a cute, pet form of the name. Thanks for the idea.

@dantea: Ooh, cool to get name feedback from you! Thank you for all the name ideas. Although they aren't typically my style, I am drawn to Calantha and Iolanthe. Lanti would make a very cute and logical nn for those names.

Thank you all!
    Not expecting, just planning and building lists!