Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to get to the nn Bow?

So I'm writing a novel and the name Bow came to me. She was born around 1800, her mother is native american and her father is from a wealthy English family. Her father would have had more influence on her naming, but I'm thinking perhaps she has another name from her mother.

So how does she get to the nickname Bow? I was thinking to make her last name Beauregard and have it just shorten to Bow over time... But perhaps I can find a first name that fits in with the upper class of that era. Any ideas would be super helpful! Give me first names, middle names, last names. and if you want to come up with her name from her mother... I want those ideas too! Thank you!

Sierra Ann
    No babies yet, just novel babies!
    Charlie, August, Jonas, Lincoln, Beckett, Whittaker
    Aurelie, Carolina, Lorelei, Selah, Annelie, Coralie
    http://distinctivelyknown.tumblr.com

If you go with Beauregard being her last name, I would spell is Beau.

You could also have her first name be Isabeau, which has French origins.

I would be careful using Bow for an American Indian. A little obvious, me thinks. Also, if you are setting this in 1800, research the time period, what names were popular then, and what was going on in society. That can definitely help.
    Ladies
    Avery Catherine Lucille ~ Caroline Frances Emilia ~ Clarity Jessamine Leigh ~ Josephine Louisa Danielle ~ Rosemary Margaret Luna ~ Tessa Hermione Jayne

&
    Gentlemen
    Desmond William Beau ~ Elijah Laurence Rhys ~ Ezra Benjamin Rene ~ Logan Christopher Knightley ~ Theodore David Henry ~ Whitney Samuel John

Wishing to be pregnant... but having to be responsible and wait for now :P

I know... I'm starting to sort of doubt the native american thing... that could get problematic real quick if I don't do some careful research.

I've thought of Isabeau... it's a possibility. But I'm pretty stuck on Bow as a spelling. Like, perhaps she went by Beau for a while, but it morphed into Bow?

Sierra Ann
    No babies yet, just novel babies!
    Charlie, August, Jonas, Lincoln, Beckett, Whittaker
    Aurelie, Carolina, Lorelei, Selah, Annelie, Coralie
    http://distinctivelyknown.tumblr.com

How about Lorraine?

Lorraine -> Rain -> Rainbow -> Bow
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I agree that the many homonyms for bow make this hard especially in the time you're thinking of (tie a bow, take a bow, bow of a ship, shoot a bow, bow-wow, etc.). Add to that the fact that Bo/Beau is a common male name that's unlikely to have been used for a daughter by an English father.

What about Bly?

Bly is a native american name meaning tall. I think it would signify an interesting compromise between father and mother with Blythe being English and meaning lively.

I like the idea of Rainbow as well, I could see that appealing to both in a way, but you'd have to get it there plot wise and it seems like a stretch if the only reason you want it is for the name Bow.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin