Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    My daughter is friends with a boy called Luke. I've never heard his mother call him Lucas so I assume his full name is Luke and have always called him by that. I've never heard anyone else call him otherwise. I think some names, like Mike or Tom, you assume are short for Michael & Thomas. Other names, like Jake or Luke, might be Jacob or Lucas, but maybe not, it's not so easy to assume.

My question is, do you despise the name Lucas so much that if you have a forgetful family member who always lengthens Luke's name to Lucas, you will be steaming mad or upset or distressed in any way? Cause if it's like that maybe you should forget the name Luke. But if you could brush off mistakes I say go for it.

My other suggestion is Luca. But that might be too close to Lucas for your liking?

Every single Luke I know and have heard of is just Luke all the Lucas's I know are called Lucas. I honestly don't think it would be a problem.
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Tallulah★Ruby☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆Miller★
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com

I also prefer Luke! I know a Lukas and a Luke, Lukas is always Lukas, and Luke is always Luke. I don't think anyone's asked Luke if his real name's Lucas though, and no one's called Lukas by the name Luke either (unless they're just confusing the two children).
    Ladies: Florence•Amelia•Daisy•Martha•Millie•Scar lett•Sophia•Poppy•Freya•Amelie•Maisie• Olivia•Charlotte•Imogen•Harriet
    Evie•Lillian•Isabelle•Ella•Louisa•Eleano r•Violet•Lucy•Annabelle•Phoebe•Elsie•M innie•Matilda•Grace•Evelyn•Pixie

Gentlemen: Albert•Matthew•Henry•Louis•William•Harry •Teddy•James•Charlie•Christopher• Ernest•Andrew•Adam•Thomas•Alfie
    Edward•Archie•Daniel•Harrison•George•Sta nley•Joel•Rafferty•Michael•Samuel•Winsto n•Freddie•Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by southern.maple View Post
    Luke is not a nickname. It's a full name in its own right. I don't know why anyone would assume that a boy/man introduced as Luke is actually a Lucas?
    Same reason people assume Johns are Jonathans, I think. Just being dumb.

I don't see this as an issue at all. I knew plenty of Luke's growing up and Luke was their given name. I have only heard of more Lucas' recently with younger kids. If I met a Luke, I would just assume his name was Luke. And even if I did in some way think his name was Lucas, if he told me he was Luke then that's what I would call him! For what it's worth, I love Luke! And not a fan of Lucas at all either! Weird eh..names so similar but jst have a totally different feel to me!!
    Mom to Mhairi Elizabeth (March 19, 2010) & Fiona Lilidh (Dec 21, 2012) Baby #3 Due March 2014