Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thoughts on Ivan

Right now my husband and I are trying for our first child. If it's a girl we have a few names that we both like. But if it's a boy we only can agree on Ivan, (pronounced I-Van, not Eve-on). I like it for a lot of personal reasons (my grandfather who I was very close with, was named John, my grandmother who was one of the most important people in my life was named Iva); I also like that it has a strength to it, with a different, but not to different flare. I don't think a little Ivan would be out of place with all the Aidans, Owens, Ethans, Ians, etc out there. But I doubt he'd have a lot of Ivans in his class. I also like that it's short, and is spelled like it sounds. But what do Berries here think. Is Ivan a viable option?
    Last edited by blackcatsmeow; October 13th, 2013 at 04:14 PM.

I love Ivan! I would use it in a heartbeat if not for a last name issue. I like it for all the reasons you mentioned, and I especially agree it has the cadence of a lot of popular names out there while still being "different."

I love Ivan. It has a strong and dashing Continental flair that's quite appealing. It's a relatively rare name outside of Eastern Europe so the chances that he'll have to share his name with a classmate is slim. Yeah, maybe you'll hear a couple of "Ivan the Terrible" jokes a long the way but who cares! The fact that it honours two people close to you is an added bonus! Ivan is a winner!
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I love the name Ivan. It's a strong name. As for the Ivan the Terrible thing; well, every name has a bad association for someone so you can't really escape it. I love the name Damian, and would use it in a heartbeat. My mother was hesitant when I mentioned it, but she succumbed when I mentioned that there are two Saints named Damien & Damian (same with Lucas). So use it! It's so perfect for a boy : )
    Becket Lawrence-Jude Maximilian-Alban Ignatius-Piers Benedict

Marguerite Josephine-Catharina Ophélie-Genevieve Antonia-Elisabet Valentine

Mireille-Greta-Afton-Julian-Andrew-Eamon-Fox-Bellarmine-Percy

I love, love Ivan, and I don't understand why it isn't more popular. Ivan is strong, handsome, versatile, international, and distinctive without being weird. Sterling choice. Seriously, use it.
    Simon, Eloise, Faye, Judah, Thea, Marina, Felix, Iris, Cordelia, Roscoe, Lydia, Jasper, Phaedra, Adrian, Lucinda, Jane, Wallace, Finnegan, Sylvie, Charlie, Juniper, Atlas, Matilda, Julian, Alice, Marlowe, Octavia, Jack, Marigold, Ruby Louise, Archer, Violet, Gabriel, Persephone, Dov, Louisa

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...