Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I saw Ebba as a name decorated on a wall in some home magazine or blog in a child's room and my first thought was "Whaaaat?" And then I couldn't stop thinking about it, and it's definitely grown on me. (I also passed a street called Elba, and that's grown on me too. Originally I only liked Elva, Eris and Erin as 4 letter E names.) I'm not a big fan of Astrid. A long time ago on here I saw someone point out it sounds similar to a$$ turd, and I was put off after that. Unfortunate, because it is a good name. Do you like Ingrid?
    http://www.onceuponatimebabynames.com/
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9772380 (please vote!)

Due December 13, 2014 (12/13/14) It's a boy!
    Castalia, Ailova, Vasilisa, Indrina, Rosmira, Calluna, Faustine, Hildana, Selenia, Alianora, Fruzsina
    ... Alaric, Alistair, Stellan, Rainer, Evander, Caspian, Rhydian, Howell, Gustav, Theron, Onder, Sander

I like Astrid a lot, and Ebba's fine—not my favorite, but a fine name.

However, Ottilie once mentioned that her Swedish family pronounces Astrid like As-TREE, I think, while in the US we generally say AS-tridd.

I love Astrid- it sounds so crisp and fresh and unique, feminine but not froufrou. I find Ebba a bit clunky but it does have charm. Not sure about Ebba but my friend's middle name is Astrid and she said people would call her "asteroid". The "as-TREE" pronunciation is so pretty! Never heard it before though. I would love to meet an Astrid.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

Thank you for your thoughts about Ebba and Astrid. We like Ebba most.

We also considered Alma or Agnes, they are also popular baby names here (ranked 29 vs 12) but I guess in UK and US they are seen as dated names, or?

Some of you have suggested Etta, in Sweden it would be strange to have this name because Etta is the same as the number one.

Quote Originally Posted by tararyaz View Post
    Astrid is much debated as a "bad" name in English because the first syllable is slang for the backside. However, it is more common & familiar sounding here in America than Ebba. Ebba might be mistaken for Emma which is very popular here. I think either name works well enough when it comes to pronunciation issues. If you like them both equally I guess my vote would go to Ebba, cause I think it's unique in a good way and you won't have to worry about teasing.
    I've never once heard Astrid debated for those reasons. It's not even pronounced the same way.
    Mother to two lovely kiddos, Mila Arden and Cato Bennett

Currently dreaming of...
    Atlas, Callahan, Caius, Ezra, Bram, Atticus, Aspen, Sylvan, Constantine, Perrin & Pascoe
    Lyra, Elodie, Elowen, Isis, Artemis, Sylvia, Vesper, Anouk, Willa, Cassia, Elka & Sage