Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I knew you two would give me lots of suggestions! In all fairness, I've read some of these it just didn't occur to me to put them in this category. C.S. Lewis, J.M. Barrie, Peter S. Beagle, Patricia C. Wrede, E. Nesbit and Philip Pullman are children's books to me, although they are of course fantasy books as well. I love Marion Zimmer Bradley, I simply forgot about this one. Anne Rice is horror for me, but yes, it's fantasy as well. Madeleine L'Engle's books are wonderful, loved those growing up, and Alice Hoffman is a genius. Erin Morgenstern's Night Circus, Susanna Clark's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and Eowyn Ivey's the Snow Child are all read (more than once!) and deeply loved.

Fey; I read Te Enchanted Castle as a child, and The Changeling Sea. Both gorgeous! I'm very curious about The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, and I will look for this one today. What a title!

The good thing here is that many of these writers and titles are things I've looked at and been curious about (it's so difficult with this genre, it's kind of hidden away in the bookshop, no recommendation walls or people who knows about it... unless I venture into the fantasy bookshop but then I know I'll exit with more than I can carry!). I don't mind romance, I don't mind YA either as long as it's good (I'm not interested in books ala 50 shades and Twilight, badly written anti-feminist stuff), and I can handle some sadomasochism.

I'm writing all the titles down, but these are the ones I'll definitely look for in the bookshop today:
    Robin Hobb - Liveship Trader Trilogy (I've been looking at her books many times, they look so pretty and magical and shiny. Now hearing how she writes, I will absolutely buy some of these today. If she deals with rape stories in a good way (realistic) I'll be happy, as long as it's not glorification and romantisised.)
    Charles de Lint (I have read some of his stuff, but it was ages ago! I need to check in my library if I can find any, if not, off to the bookshop we go!)
    Isaac Asimov (If this is the high king of SciFi I need to read it as soon as possible)
    Terry Brooks (another one I've been eying)
    Jim Butcher - Codex Alera series (Sessh, you've suggested this to me before. I'm going to get it this time, it looks and sounds wondeful; Romaesque high fantasy! Love it. Will start with this one, but I'm scribbling down the other series as well)
    Elizabeth Kerner (Song in the Silence. I'm very weak when it comes to dragons. And the other thing, it has to be good if this is where the LN comes from!)
    Juliet Marillier - Sevenwaters series
    Patric Rothfuss - Name of the Wind (I've seen this one too, and been interested. I know they've got this one, so will be the proud owner of this in a few hours)
    R.A. Salvatore (Drittz. Sounds fun, and recommended by both of you so on the list it goes)
    Kelley Eskridge - Solitaire (Shatteringly brilliant, it must be good!)
    Laini Taylor - Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Another one I've seen displayed in the bookshop, and I've been very curious about it (the title is soooo good!). Gorgeous writing and blew me away, sounds like good stuff)
    John Connolly - The Book of Lost Things (Dark fairytale, and the title is beautiful. Very interested in this one)
    Lev Grossman - The Magicians
    Sarah Addison Allen - The Sugar Queen
    Libba Bray - A Great and Terrible Beauty
    Gordon Dahlquist - The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters (the title!)
    Edith Pattou - East (I've seen this one, and I love this fairy tale)
    Brom - The Child Thief (I don't mind a darker Peter Pan... if it's done well)
    Christopher Buhelman - Those Across the River (again, the title!)
    Shirley Jackson - We Have Always Lived in the Castle
    Cherie Priest - Boneshaker
    Ocatvia E. Butler - Kindred
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love (the title! and if you've read and loved everything...)

Thanks so much my sweetpeas, you are wonderful! I'm also interested in the ones on your reading lists (I've seen the Ursula le Guin book) but I'll hold my breath and see what you say...
    Last edited by ottilie; October 11th, 2013 at 08:38 AM.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Wow what a list you got..... I'll be back if I have any grand revelations:
    And I'm with Sheesh Jim Butcher rocks my socks off.... I love the noir feel of the Harry Dresden books.
    Presume if you read Gainman you've also delved into Prattchett who I adore. (If not start with Weird Sisters - its an easy intro into disc world).
    Of course Song of Ice and Fire (the books are s much better than the HBO show).
    Kalayna Price's books. I don't like the Bitten series but the Alex Craft series is awesome! (fun fast read and really involved in fae lore).
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

I would definitely second the the Juliet Marillier recommendation. Great books! Some other author suggestions:

Fantasy

Jennifer Fallon-(I have read her Demon Child trilogy and Tide Lords series. Both were very good, and her other series are highly regarded as well).
    Trudi Canavan-(Read: Black Magician trilogy and Ithania series. The Inthania series felt slow to get into but worth it).
    Sara Douglass-(Some of it can be wishy washy, needed a bit of editing, but her series are quite fun to read with some really interesting characters).
    Raymond E Feist (A childhood favorite, I think I have read all of his series. Magician is still my top one though).
    Garth Nix-(YA, but good Young adult fiction).
    Isobelle Carmody-(I was tempted to put her in the science fiction section because of one of her series (although it works as a fantasy as well)

Bridge of Birds: A Novel Of Ancient China That Never Was by Barry Hughart
    Beauty by Robin Mckinley
    The Children of the Red King series by Jenny Nimmo
    Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth
    The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold

Science Fiction I don't particularly read Science Fiction, so I will pick books rather than authors.

The Testament of Jessie Lamb by Jane Rogers
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi
    Silo trilogy by Hugh Howey
    Ingrid | Kit | Susanna | Alistair

Fantasy and sci fi really isn't my thing (other than the great Harry P, of course ) so I can only suggest one thing. Have you ever read the Declaration books by Gemma Malley? They're teen fic really, but there's no vampires! It's an original -and scary- look into the future...

If you enjoy Tolkien then The Belgariad series by David Eddings is a favourite of mine that I'd definitely recommend. Also The Pellinor series by Alison Croggon.
    - Evelyn - Alice - Margot - Edith - Maeve - Gaia - Sylvie - Indira - Martha - Beatrix - Miriam (Miri) - Freya -

- Seth - Marcus - Stefan - Roran (Rory) - Caspar - Reuben - Malachi - Christopher (Kit) - Eben - Gideon -

- Eden - Indigo - Ezri - Ophelia (Effie) - Zinnia - / - Tycho - Atticus - Beckett - Marius - Zephyr -