Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Name from Lily of the Valley

I'm playing around with name ideas for our new addition due in June and I was thinking it would be a neat way to honor my mother and mother in law to use their birth flowers as the inspiration for choosing names. My mother's birth flower is Lily of the Valley or Hawthorn and my MIL's is Larkspur. For larkspur I could use Larkin (b or g) or just Lark (g). I love both of those! Hawthorn (or just Thorn?? Idk..) could work for a boy's MN. But if it's a girl I'll need something from Lily of the Valley and I'm having a difficult time coming up with something I like. Lily is so boring and overused IMO. I though Lila but that's not much better. There is Delilah but I feel like that is stepping too far away from the idea plus I'm not over the moon about it. I adore Lyra (it was already on the list before this idea occurred to me) but that's even further removed and I feel like it wouldn't make the connection very well?

Any suggestions?

If I can't come up with a way to use both I'll just scrap the idea all together because this is likely our last child and I'd hate to leave one of the ladies out.

The Welsh name for lily-of-the valley is Gwenonwy or Lili Mai.

Just lily in other languages
    Lylyen (Welsh)
    Lilje (Norwegian and Danish)
    Lilja (Swedish)
    Lys (French)
    Lirio (Spanish)
    Lilium (Latin)
    Lilie (Czech)
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Thanks! How is Lylyen pronounced? Lie Lynn? Lie Li En?. I love Gwen but I'm not sure that's not too many degrees of separation? Especially if the other was so obvious. Gwen Larkin is cute though. I don't think DH would go for Gwenonwy but I think it's lovely.

The Latin name of lily of the valley is Convallaria, but I'm guessing you don't want any Val- names or you'd have suggested them, so maybe Connie or Aria? You could just go with May or Maia to honour the birth month, but it might be weird to have a May born in June (if baby comes early then you're golden).

Some other variants of Lily: Lillian, Liliana, Lilia, Lilias (lovely old-fashioned Scottish version used in The Secret Garden). And of course Susan / Susannah have the meaning 'lily'.

Lylyen's Cornish, Lili's Welsh. Sorry about that! I don't know how to say lylyen, I'll ask my husband when I see him later.

There's also lilwen (fair lily).
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]