Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Megan: Too Dated?

My husband's #1 choice for our daughter is Megan. I don't hate that name by any means, but I'm concerned about the fact that it was so popular in the 1990s. I don't want to do to my daughter what my parents did to me: give her a name that was popular 20 years before she was born. I was born in the '70s and am a Deborah, and I hated it growing up and felt like it was such a fuddy-duddy name. But maybe Megan is more timeless than Deborah?

I like Megan. I think it is pretty timeless. Meg is a cute nn. I think you can't go wrong with Megan.

Megan is by no means a bad name, it's cute. But if I'm being honest I do feel it's a little dated. I would expect Megan to be a young mom, not a new baby.
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

As much as I absolutely love Megan, I must agree it is a dated name.

I really like Megan but it's not especially of-the-moment.

Every decade has at least a couple names I like. Along with likable (to me) Amy and Caitlin, it's still usable, but I don't think of it as "now." I prefer it to some "now" names if that's any comfort. I'd take Megan over Mia, Madison, or McKayla anytime. Just like I prefer Amy to Ava. But Ava and Madison do sound a generation younger than Megan and Amy.