Names Searched Right Now:

8. The Sacred Roses series name ideas.

Hello everyone

My name is Kitra, and I'm new to the Nameberry forums.

I'm writing a book (a series, really, but I have to finish the first book before I can write the rest of them LOL!), and would love some feedback about the names for some of my characters.

Genre of story: Spiritual-fantasy fiction series.

Time Period/Location: Alternate version of our world, in the early-2000's. The majority of it takes place in a fictional city called Jordan Park, NY (USA).

Brief Plot: Think "The Mists of Avalon" meets "Harry Potter" meets "The Chronicles of Narnia," for adults. There is a very spiritual edge to my writing. I am creating a fictional religion for my characters, which at this time I'm calling Crownism.

In this alternate version of our world, along with humans there are creatures called the Inrohs. Inrohs are a blend of human-animal blend. They have a humanoid body, but have some characteristics of animals too, like fur on most of their body, and animal ears instead of human ears. For example, a Dog-inroh has dog ears, fur over most of his body except his belly, chest, and face. He also has whiskers.

The ending is "Inroh" for males, and "Inrah" for females.

Within these books will be an ongoing struggle of good versus evil. There are ancient prophecies that have to be fulfilled in order to heal and save the world from chaos and destruction.

The prophecies involve four sets of twins, who are the embodiments of virtues that are key parts of their religion of Crownism.

Character Description: For this post I'm going to focus on Love's Twins, Abbey and Ali. They are twin Tig-inrahs (tiger-human blends). They are 20 years old, and are college students.

While I'm definitely settled on their nicknames being Abbey and Ali, I'm working out what their given names will be. I've toyed with the following, but am very open to suggestions...

For Abbey:

For Ali:

Immediate Family (if relevant): Their mother's name is Meridia; she's called "Merri" for short. Their father's name is Matthias ("Matt"). They have an 11 year old sister named Philomena ("Phillie"). Their mother and sister are also Tig-inrahs. Their father is a Li-inroh.

Already Considered (if relevant): (See above.)

Don’t Suggest These Names: I don't want their given names to be the usual Abigail and Allison. (Nothing wrong with those names, but I'm aiming for different/unique names for these characters since the story takes place in an alternate version of our world. I'm using many sort of off-beat names, name combinations and name blends, alternate spellings of names, etc.)

Anything else?: Ali and Abbey are descended from Asmara, the first Tig-inrah ever born. Asmara was sent into the world by Those Above (Gods/Goddesses/Angels) to teach humans Love.
    ~ Kitra
    wife, (step)mom, vilomah, grandmother, writer, eclectic Pagan, believer in fairies and angels, all-around dork
    In process of writing
    The Sacred Roses series (working title).

AnnLouise Marie - (step)daughter
    Samantha Jane - "adopted" daughter

Kaitlyn Leandra - angel daughter

Teagan Pax - angel son

Chaz Chamness - angel (step)son
    Janella Leigh Lotus - granddaughter

This sounds really interesting! Its kind of funny because I'm writing a series about an alternate version of Earth, taking place in New York as well.

For Abbey, I like Abriella, and for Ali, I Aleena. It just gives them an other world feel to them. Other suggestions:

Ali - Allaire, Alizah, Aleeza
    Abbey - Abra, Aberdeen

You can also just make stuff up as well. I do that sometimes, and since its technically not Earth, its okay.
    Ingrid Genevieve | Evanna Yvaine | Winifred Delphine | Saoirse Elaine
    Astra Gillian | Rose Morgana | Irene Lourdes | Danae Andromeda

Damian Orion | Simon Cornelius | Gareth Evan | William Thierry
    Edmund Abraham | Wendell Eleazar | Shepherd Phoenix

Ali: Alice, Alicia, or just use Ali as a full name.
    Abbey : Gabrielle

Hey y'all!

First of all, thank you!

On to the next set of twins involved in the Sacred Roses series...

Character Description: Grace's twins are Sea-inrahs. (Much of their bodies are covered in scales, and they have gills on their necks.) They are also students at the same university as Love's twins. Grace's twins are 20 year old young ladies. Their scales are a golden color. They have reddish-blondish hair, and brilliant sapphire-blue eyes.

Immediate Family (if relevant): Their parents are Racheline (a name I made up several years ago, and one of my all-time favorites! It's a combo of Rachel and Katherine) and Peter. Racheline's family has a long tradition of adopting; very few children have ever actually been born into Racheline's family. This tradition was one her husband, Peter, happily accepted. Racheline's whole family have been Crownists for generations. Peter was Christian, but converted to Crownism in his teens.

Grace's twins were adopted, as were all their siblings. They have an older sister named Sapphire (who plays an important part later in the story) who is a 25 year old healer (like a doctor in our world), brother Keagan who is 17 years old, brother Corey who is 10 years old, and brother Joey who is 9 years old. Because of Racheline's family's long-standing tradition of adopting children instead of having their own babies, it should probably be noted here that the children in this family are of different species and ethnic backgrounds. While Sapphire is a Sea-inrah like Grace's twins are, all the brothers are different. (I haven't yet decided exactly who is what type of Inroh or ethnicity, though.)

Already Considered (if relevant): I'm aiming for water-oriented names for them, but I also don't want to get too terribly literal on that point. My current favorite combination for Grace's twins are Nixie (a German water-sprite) and Nerissa (a Greek name meaning "sea nymph" or "from the sea"). Other names I've considered...
    Lynnaya (variation of Lynn, which is another water name)
    Rusalka (the water-nymph from the opera)
    Elandra (an Aboriginal name meaning "home by the sea")
    Kelda (a Scandinavian name meaning "a fountain")
    Ilayda (a Turkish name meaning "water fairy")

Don’t Suggest These Names: Marina, Ocean, River, or anything else that is so literally watery.

Anything else?: Grace's Twins are descended from Hannah, the first Sea-inrah ever born. As Asmara was sent by Those Above to teach humans about love, Hannah was sent by Those Above to teach humans about Grace.

Also, it is revealed later in the story that Sapphire is related by blood to Grace's twins; she is actually a distant cousin. It appears to be a coincidence that Racheline and Peter adopted Sapphire and adopted Grace's twins, but they were actually guided to do so.
    ~ Kitra
    wife, (step)mom, vilomah, grandmother, writer, eclectic Pagan, believer in fairies and angels, all-around dork
    In process of writing
    The Sacred Roses series (working title).

AnnLouise Marie - (step)daughter
    Samantha Jane - "adopted" daughter

Kaitlyn Leandra - angel daughter

Teagan Pax - angel son

Chaz Chamness - angel (step)son
    Janella Leigh Lotus - granddaughter

I like Abriella and Allegra, Kelda and Nixie. This sounds like something I'd like to read :-)
    - Evelyn - Alice - Margot - Edith - Maeve - Gaia - Sylvie - Indira - Martha - Beatrix - Talitha (Tallie) - Freya -

- Seth - Marcus - Stefan - Roran (Rory) - Caspar - Reuben - Malachi - Christopher (Kit) - Eben - Gideon -

- Eden - Indigo - Ezri - Ophelia (Effie) - Zinnia - / - Tycho - Atticus - Beckett - Marius - Zephyr -