Names Searched Right Now:

3. The Restricted

Genre of Story: YA Dystopia

Time Period/Location: UK, around 100 years or so in the future

Brief Plot: Kimberly, aged 16, joins a band of rebels against population restrictions in the hope of finding her mother who disappeared several years previously.

Names of Current Characters: Main characters: Kevin, Thomas, Kimberly, Rebecca, Jonathan, Conor, Liam, Tee, Patrick, Mairead, Ashen, Greg, Hannah, Jack, Maisie

Character Description: The mother of Kimberly and Rebecca (16), Thomas (18) and Jonathan (7), she disappeared while pregnant with Jonathan because he was an illegal pregnancy, leaving husband Kevin behind with the older kids. She's got black skin (Kevin's white, her kids are mixed race), black hair and is fairly short. She left Jonathan with members of the rebel group when he was small so she could go out but never returned.

Immediate Family (if relevant): Husband: Kevin Lanford
    Sons: Thomas and Jonathan
    Daughters: Kimberly and Rebecca

Has a brother and parents who are only mentioned in passing and are unnamed.

Already Considered (if relevant): Andrea, Diana, Rachel, Christina

Don’t Suggest These Names: Nothing Irish, as I've got a load of Irish characters who are a different group.

Anything else?: Looking for something that's currently considered a bit mumsy-ish, if that makes any sense. Surname is Lanford.
    Last edited by essjay; October 1st, 2013 at 11:23 AM.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

These are some names I think of as mumsy:
    Tracy, Laura, Melissa, Michelle, Heather, Mae, Maya, Josephine, Patricia, Judith, Edith, Lisa, Amy, Renee, & Nicole

I like the suggestions of Melissa, Lisa and Heather. I also quite like Patricia, but I think it's too close to another character I have, Patrick, for it to work here.

Does Lisa Lanford feel too cartoonish or does the alliteration work here? I can't quite decide if it sits right or not.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___

Decided on Lisa Lanford as the mother's name. Thanks Tigerlily for your suggestions.