Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I'm not trying to start trouble, but this is honestly an inherently racist question and every time it comes up (as it does, all too frequently, on Nameberry) I cringe.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

My immediate association with the name Cedric is Cedric Diggory, and I think he's awesome. I'm a Hufflepuff myself, so I highly approve. Haha. If I met a boy named Cedric, I'd probably find it adorable. I know a white kid named DaChone, (da-shown), so don't worry! Even if it was predominantly "black", I don't think it would matter. It'd be refreshing to see it on a white kid haha. Although personally, I don't think there's really a such thing as a name being "off-limits" to a certain race. It's really up to the parents' preferences.
    ♂ Ellis Christopher / Asher Estlin / Seth Joshua / Gordon Thomas / Russell Joseph ♂
    ♀ Marilyn Kay / Joanna Kathryn / Tessa Diane / Nola Elaine / Christine Ruby ♀

I do think it's a predominately "black" name but it's not something that would be odd on a white person.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Names are names, they don't have races.

I'm 26, so right in that age range, and I live in the Midwest. The strongest association I have with the name is Cedric Diggory (the first Harry Potter book came out when I was 10, so it's definitely this generation that first grew up with them). The only Cedric I know in real life is around my age and he's half-white/half-Korean.

In all honesty, I think your friends probably just don't like the name and said that to talk you out of it, but they made themselves sound racist. For what it's worth, I think Cedric is a fine name, and you can and should use it if it's the name you love. They'll get over it.
    Mommy to...Maura Lucille

I had a baby today, I would name him/her...
    Patrick Donley or Brigid ???

BOYS: Seamus Arthur or Niall/Neil/Neal James
    GIRLS: Fiona Corinne

That definitely would NOT be my first reaction to the name. Actually I think Cedric is a really handsome name, and would love to meet a little Cedric of any ethnicity
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot