Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Love your other kids names! I like Evelien Susanna out of your choices.
    Proud mama to L. and S.E.R.

*Magnolia Alice/ Evangeline Clover/ Adelaide Clover/ Athena Violet/ Liliana Wren/
    Osias Grey/ /August Grey/Thatcher Fox/ Ignatius Grey/Hawthorne Flynn*

Yep, there seems to be no way around that. Dh thinks that it wouldn't be so noticeable if we chose a less recognizable or another Dutch name. i.e. Greet Madelief or Greet Liselot, etc). I'm not so sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by eleanortilney View Post
    I second Margreet Louisa. But I'd say definitely give her the full name Margreet, Greet Susanna unfortunately sounds like you're commanding your child to greet a Susanna. But, as I nickname, it's quite lovely!
    Devin
    mom to
    Leiden Dominic (7)
    Saskia Rosemary (6)
    Aleydis Josephine (4)

Hi,

How do you pronounce Margreet? Margreet or margreat (Dutch prn.)? If you prefer the English prn you could also use Margriet which is prn mar-greet. The nn Griet is easier to use as a given name with a middle name, re your concerns with Greet. Plus, a Margriet is a flower

Other Dutch names you might like: Marlies, Marloes, Annelies, Annemiek, Marieke or Lisette?
    Aurore Ebba Rosalind, Aurelia Beatrice Rose, Hadewych Ebba Aurora, Cosima Rose Beatrice, Riva Ianthe Juniper, Melisande Juno Catharina, Lorelei Caja Vasilisa

Ramses, Midas, Erasmus/Rasmus, Rodolphe, Jasper, Rembrandt, Lloyd, Lucius, Otis, Emrys, Oberon

Due 2.15.2015

How about Evelien Isabelle? I think that's really pretty. If you want to use Margreet that's cool, but I would use Greet as a nn only. Can you imagine if she went somewhere and someone said "Can someone go greet Greet?" That's a bit much. I prefer Evelien though.
    (\_/)
    (o.o)
    (><) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Since we live in and English-speaking country, we tend to Anglicize pronunciations for simplicity's sake, so closer to Mar-greet than mar-great. I also have always loved the form Marguerite, which is nearly identical to Mar-greet. I'm open to Margriet, but dh's name is Niel, and his name is constantly spelled Neil. And I can't tell you how many times our son has come home with Lieden on his papers. So he doesn't want to give people the opportunity to have ie ei confusion this time around (which is why he doesn't like Evelien as much as I do. I love Lisette and Lisanne/Lysanne, but dh was not as keen. He doesn't want to repeat any initials.
    Quote Originally Posted by phloxie View Post
    Hi,

How do you pronounce Margreet? Margreet or margreat (Dutch prn.)? If you prefer the English prn you could also use Margriet which is prn mar-greet. The nn Griet is easier to use as a given name with a middle name, re your concerns with Greet. Plus, a Margriet is a flower

Other Dutch names you might like: Marlies, Marloes, Annelies, Annemiek, Marieke or Lisette?
    Devin
    mom to
    Leiden Dominic (7)
    Saskia Rosemary (6)
    Aleydis Josephine (4)