Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Evelien is beautiful. I like it with Susannah, and not really with Elizabeth but maybe a different form of Elizabeth, like Lizbeth?

Evelien Susanna (love this spelling and the first name)

or Margreet Isabelle
    Tristan Gilbert°Robin Amaury°Leon Percival°Edmund Theoderic°Finn Beowulf°Magnus Oberon°Thorin Elliot°Edric Maximilian°Emil Orlando
    Freya Elysant°Belle Seraphina°Leda Cassiopeia°Briony Rosaline°Charlotte Romilly°Lotus Dorothea°Aurora Nimue°Cecily Eliska, Mabel Celestina
    girl & boy

Nope, not in the Netherlands, but my husband and I met while doing graduate degrees in Leiden back 14 years ago. I studied 17th and 18th century Dutch art history and worked for a long time in art restoration. We fell in love with the name Leiden, because it was a meaningful place for us, Saskia because I had always been fascinated by Saskia van Uylenburgh, Rembrandt's wife, and Aleydis for no special reason except we felt we had to stick to the pattern. Many years before, I ran across the name at an art history conference, Aleydis van Something or Other. I didn't go to her panel or know anything about her, but I remembered the name. Then we found out (after we had chosen it) that Aleydis was the name of one of Vermeer's daughters. This time has been much much harder. We've had to hit the books for ideas, because a lot of Dutch names just don't work very well in English. Kessel is another art history name, after Jan van Kessel, a 17th century painter of botanical still lifes. Have you pegged me as a nerd yet?

Quote Originally Posted by pam View Post
    Are you in the Netherlands? Fascinating names. I prefer Margreet as it's most distinct from your other children's names and also think it's more international than just Greet. My favorite choice is Margreet Louisa. Can't wait to hear the final result!
    Devin
    mom to
    Leiden Dominic (7)
    Saskia Rosemary (6)
    Aleydis Josephine (4)

Yes, we don't seem to be avoiding nicknames this time around. I really like Kess as nn for our boy name. I also like Evie and Lien (LEEN) for Evelien. Dh really likes Greet, but isn't a fan of the MAR part for some reason. His favorite at the moment is Greet Susanna.

Quote Originally Posted by gwensmom View Post
    My favorite is Margreet Louisa, called Greet. I don't think it's a problem that she would have a nickname while the others don't, and both names are lovely. Evelien is pretty too - maybe Evelien Susanna.
    Devin
    mom to
    Leiden Dominic (7)
    Saskia Rosemary (6)
    Aleydis Josephine (4)

I second Margreet Louisa. But I'd say definitely give her the full name Margreet, Greet Susanna unfortunately sounds like you're commanding your child to greet a Susanna. But, as I nickname, it's quite lovely!
    Beatriz
    (bee-ah-treesh)
    Loves books, tea, art, history, music, horses and names.

Amelia Charlotte ● Clarisse May ● Elizabeth Victoria "Eliza" ● Fleur Isabelle ● Louisa Hazel "Lou" ● Rosalie Claire "Rosie" or "Rosiclair" ● Francesca Maude "Frankie" ● Georgiana Blair "Georgie" ● Theresa Adelaide "Tess"

Frederick Archer ● Everett Lloyd ● Theodore Eames "Theo" ● Matthew Howard ● Frank Holden ● Edmund Wyatt ● Thomas Mendel ● Elliott Leopold "Leo" ● Taddeus Jude "Tad"